Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Beretta DT-11 trigger issue. Careful....it may be me, the trigger, what I have done to the gun, or what I use in the gun for loads. The problem results when I shoot doubles on skeet pairs. (12 gauge) Upon having a successful first pull, my second trigger pull is dead, no movement. Here are the conditions. I was not having a reset problem in the beginning. I recently put a Gracoil recoil reducer on. The problem is systematic and consistent. I have ruled out operator error in that I have no problems with the second pull resets when using my Kolar. The problem only arrises on the DT-11. (Keep in mind the Kolar is not an inertial trigger.) I am using 1oz. loads 1290 fps. Ammo does not seem to matter. I have been vigilant in keeping the DT-11 pressed firmly into my shoulder during rounds, trying to rule out "insufficient recoil inertia" as being the problem. I also tightened up the Gracoil spring to stiffen the entire recoil of the gun. The only thing I have yet to do is have someone else try to duplicate the problem, thereby ruling out my trigger finger, and shoulder as being the culprit. Any opinions or explanations? Please.... no "THEN STICK WITH YOUR KOLAR" or "BERETTA FOREIGN MADE" comments. They are both really great guns. Different but great.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Do you have access or own another trigger ? Just a thought to try that and see if it keeps happening.

·
Registered
20,521 Posts
More details are needed. What happens and what do you do after you shoot the first shot and the trigger fails to set for the second shot???

Try this when the above happens: Completely take your finger off the trigger. Then, keeping the gun shouldered and pointed down range, pull the trigger again. Tell us what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In answer to some of the questions, after the first fire, even after removing my finger and trying a re-fire, the trigger definitely is not reset, as it is totally blocked. I am seriously considering sending it to someone like Cole's if my next test does not add anything to this "investigation". First, I am planning to have my friend who is an experienced doubles shooter, test it during a doubles round. He shoots his pairs much quicker, and has experience with all recoil reductions systems. He also "stays in his gun" and has a lot of trigger feel experience with firing all trigger set ups, mechanical and inertia. If it does not fail for him, then I am more inclined to blame it on my "operator error".
Thanks guys. I will keep the thread up with any new info and results.

·
Registered
20,521 Posts
It doesn't sound like operator error to me. You're experienced at shooting other O/U's with no problem. Your loads should be more than sufficient. And this is now happening EVERY time you shoot. Something has happened to the gun. It might be related to the new recoil device or not.

I would try removing the Gra-coil insides (piston and housing) and shoot the gun without it. Yes, recoil may be rather harsh since you'll have no recoil pad, but you could put a towel between the gun butt and your shoulder to soften the felt recoil.

If this fixes the problem, then the recoil device is in some way interfering with the setting of the trigger. If this test doesn't change anything, it's likely that the problem is internal in the trigger mechanism. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ulysses said:
It might be related to the new recoil device or not.

I would try removing the Gra-coil insides (piston and housing) and shoot the gun without it. Yes, recoil may be rather harsh since you'll have no recoil pad, but you could put a towel between the gun butt and your shoulder to soften the felt recoil.

If this fixes the problem, then the recoil device is in some way interfering with the setting of the trigger. If this test doesn't change anything, it's likely that the problem is internal in the trigger mechanism. Just my opinion.
Good advice.

Go back to the last known 'good'. Then if your DT11 still won't fire the second barrel with the Gracoil removed you can discount the Gracoil and get the gun to a gunsmith.

I've used a Gracoil on a DT10 without any issues. It would surprise me if your Gracoil is responsible for the problem you have.

·
Registered
272 Posts
for what its worth-I have the same set up on my DT-11 and have had no issues to speak of over 10,000 rounds. I have one [4] other inertia operated O/U's Gracoil's which I installed myself and have had no issues with any of them on any of the adjustable recoil settings.

I'm a huge fan of the Gracoils-started using them after a shoulder fracture-they kept me in the shooting game-I'd take the advice of a previous reply and send the gun in for an evaluation.

·
Registered
272 Posts
for what its worth-I have the same set up on my DT-11 and have had no issues to speak of over 10,000 rounds. I have one [4] other inertia operated O/U's Gracoil's which I installed myself and have had no issues with any of them on any of the adjustable recoil settings.

I'm a huge fan of the Gracoils-started using them after a shoulder fracture-they kept me in the shooting game-I'd take the advice of a previous reply and send the gun in for an evaluation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.