Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine just bought a factory new DT-11. Today was the first day on the range. We were shooting a friendly game of 16-yard trap at a local gun club. He fired the first shot, opened the barrels and the trigger group fell out -- luckily, his vest pocket caught it. Yikes! When stopped shooting and retreated to a safe area off of the range to work on it. He reinstalled the trigger group, successfully dry fired a few times and open and closed the action each time ... it worked fine. So, back to the line. Shot the bird, opened the gun, trigger group falls out (on the concrete pad this time). I am not familiar with the DT-11 action but feel sure there must be some simple explanation/solution. Needless to say, my shooting buddy is a bit beside himself. He plans to contact the seller (Big name, high quality outfit but out of state) as soon as they are available. Other than doing that, do you have any ideas/advice?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Read the instructions again. Make sure everything is in the proper position and seated properly. The release is incorporated in the safety, they can be stiff when new.
Sounds like the trigger isn't locked in place. Pay particular attention to the re install. Sounds like the trigger was taken out and not put back in properly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a DT-11 and to push the safety "all the way forward" was very hard the first few times I did it. Some how it sounds like he is pushing forward on the safety after he fires and when he breaks the gun open the trigger unlocks, if he is not touching the safety button, there is something wrong with the locking mechanism. Good luck, mine has worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sobrepuesta said:
Sounds like operator error to me. But of course, no one will admit that and the gun maker will be castigated mercilessly.
Nobody is "castigating" anybody. What operator error would it be that you believe is cccurring? The safety was placed in the "fire" position and the gun was shot as it was received from the dealer -- the action opened and the trigger assembly fell out. After reinstallation, it did it again. And how would you recommend that the error you think is happening not be repeated?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Possible something is out of spec.

Is it possible he's riding the safety with his thumb? The safety selector on my DT10 is still pretty firm, it takes a very conscious effort to move the safety forward. If the spring on your friends dt11 is soft or tweaked I wonder if the safety selector could be moving forward during recoil?

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Factory new, needs a good cleaning/lube by pulling the trigger group and stock. Those guns ship a long way and sit in the warehouse. They have some protective material on some parts. That includes the trigger group. My point is that something might not be fully engaging to secure the trigger group. Be sure you follow all the steps to re install, as noted if one step isn't perfect you must start the entire process over. Most people who have issues with the trigger group haven't quite learned the touch required to remove and re install. All else fails let someone else re install and shoot the gun and see what happens. The scenario talked about above can't happen with a properly installed trigger, the trigger group needs more than just a push of the safety for removal. The gun needs to be open,cocked and the lever pushed to the right. Look at this video at the 8:20 mark for some good technique removing the trigger.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It is possible for the DT11/10 trigger to not be fully seated but it won't fire or at least mine won't. The gun in the original post would fire, dry and otherwise, and the trigger would fall out so I suspect there is something not right on the inside. I'd get it back Beretta to have it checked.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's an update:

After reassembly and several successful dry fires, I shot the gun myself. The trigger fell out on me, too. FWIW, this is not my first rodeo, I shot in my first national match in 1970. I think recoil is causing the the safety mechanism to move forward into the "third notch" and when the latch moves right and the barrel begins to open the trigger assembly releases and falls out -- at least that is my theory. Regardless, Beretta was contacted and they have the gun now. I'll follow up once the mystery is solved. Thanks to everyone that has provided helpful replies.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last update from the OP ...

The gun was shipped to Beretta a week ago today and was returned yesterday (6 days total including shipping time). That is as fast as anyone could hope for. The gunsmith's note said the action was adjusted to return to spec' and the trigger guard was replaced (due to cosmetic damage by concrete). The owner shot it in a tournament today and it worked like a charm. Thanks to all of you that provided helpful feedback.

End of story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.