Shotgun Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently purchased a DT11 black ( 5 months ago), I noticed when the barrels were hot I had a hell of a time getting off the for end. I just figured it was new and needed some break in time. Cold was not a problem, anyway last week after shooting I noticed the forearm had split on the top nearest to the barrels. It would appear QC had missed this in Italy. Heart breaking to be honest. Well I called Coles in Florida sent photos and received a call from Pedro who I assume is the head gunsmith.

First question, did you buy the gun from us? Answer no. Well then we need to take care of our customers first so it’s best you send it back to Beretta! Seriously! I asked can this forend be repaired? He though it could. So now call Beretta and I’m told there’s a 8 week back log just to look at it! Then if it can’t be repaired one would have to come from Italy and that will probably take another 3 -4 months! And…..probably will have to have a new stock so the wood matches! This sucks! Have the adjustable comb set up great and my game has drastically improved. This is $12,000 worth of garbage service. So……in preparation for a possible long haul I went out and bought a Kolar max clays lite to soothe my tensions! Wifey not happy… Just venting I guess!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Wow, that sucks!
If I were in your shoes, I'd send it back to Beretta and shoot the Kolar. When it comes back, sell it and get some of your money back...Wife not as unhappy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is indeed a bummer! I would imagine Kolar will be a very pleasant change when it comes to service.
From what I hear their customer service is excellent. My only dislike so far with the Kolar is the balance. Rear heavy.. And unlike the Beretta B fast system there’s no way to balance it. Called them yesterday they said since I have the upgraded wood sometimes they can be more dense thus making them heavier in the rear. They offered to shave some wood inside the stock to help but to be honest I just got the gun two days ago and plan on shooting it tomorrow. Told them if it need to go back for any warranty work ( hope not!) I’ll have them address it then. Here’s a couple of pictures.
Wood Font Line Screenshot Metal
Musical instrument accessory Luggage and bags Office equipment Bag Material property

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hey guys, I recently purchased a DT11 black ( 5 months ago), I noticed when the barrels were hot I had a hell of a time getting off the for end. I just figured it was new and needed some break in time. Cold was not a problem, anyway last week after shooting I noticed the forearm had split on the top nearest to the barrels. It would appear QC had missed this in Italy. Heart breaking to be honest. Well I called Coles in Florida sent photos and received a call from Pedro who I assume is the head gunsmith.

First question, did you buy the gun from us? Answer no. Well then we need to take care of our customers first so it’s best you send it back to Beretta! Seriously! I asked can this forend be repaired? He though it could. So now call Beretta and I’m told there’s a 8 week back log just to look at it! Then if it can’t be repaired one would have to come from Italy and that will probably take another 3 -4 months! And…..probably will have to have a new stock so the wood matches! This sucks! Have the adjustable comb set up great and my game has drastically improved. This is $12,000 worth of garbage service. So……in preparation for a possible long haul I went out and bought a Kolar max clays lite to soothe my tensions! Wifey not happy… Just venting I guess!

Absolutely! Someone as mentioned in Italy did a poor job of quality control! Least not mention Coles blew me off too!

First question, did you buy the gun from us? Answer no. Well then we need to take care of our customers first so it’s best you send it back to Beretta! Seriously! I asked can this forend be repaired? He though it could. So now call Beretta and I’m told there’s a 8 week back log just to look at it! Then if it can’t be repaired one would have to come from Italy and that will probably take another 3 -4 months!

Find a very good stockmaker and have them fix your forearm. They will repair the crack and fix the underlying root cause of the failure. It will cost you a couple hundred bucks but you’ll avoid the hassle of dealing with Beretta and you’ll keep your gun intact.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Johnny give it some time before tweaking the wood. For sure nice wood can be very, very dense and change weight by several ounces! Give the Kolar a few cases.

I would not rush to judge Coles as they can't be the white knight for all of Beretta's failures.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you contacted the vendor that you purchased from? Sometimes those guys had more pull with Beretta.
Rich Cole the owner of Coles is a certified Berretta repair center, and from what I’m told Rich has a personal relationship with the beretta family so much so when he travels to Italy he stays at the beretta mansion. The vendor would simply told me to send it back for warranty repair.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Johnny give it some time before tweaking the wood. For sure nice wood can be very, very dense and change weight by several ounces! Give the Kolar a few cases.

I would not rush to judge Coles as they can't be the white knight for all of Beretta's failures.
Good advice on the Kolar. I’m going to try and get Mrs.Cole on the phone next week to discuss what Pedro said, hopefully they will apologize and tell me to send it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So sorry to hear about your problem with a 10k+ gun.

Prioritizing customers who bought guns from them is a smart business decision for Cole in my opinion. I think Pedro was being honest and that's better than telling you to send it in and not work on it for the next 6 months.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Why not send it to a good stock repair guy and see if it can be repaired? Just looks like a glue/ clamp/light sand and re-oil job. wood fixes are relatively cheap, and the dt11 oil finish doesn’t require any extensive refinishing work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So sorry to hear about your problem with a 10k+ gun.

Prioritizing customers who bought guns from them is a smart business decision for Cole in my opinion. I think Pedro was being honest and that's better than telling you to send it in and not work on it for the next 6 months.
Well that could be true, but if that is the case then maybe beretta needs to have more authorized repair centers. I did deal with their San Antonio store for adding an adjustable comb to my DT 11 recently, when I called there to see if they could help I was told their gunsmith had quit… Either way it would seem anyone owning a Beretta needing warranty work is pretty much screwed for a long time. Hence my decision to buy the Kolar..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Doug Carpenter is a good stock guy. Send him the pics and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not a problem

·
Registered
281 Posts

Send it back to Beretta, you have a great gun to shoot, sometimes companies give longer repair times as not to make customers get upset if times are longer for repairs, send it to Beretta, shoot that great Kolar(lucky guy) and then decide when you get the Beretta back your next step? I would want to keep both? But maybe you will shoot the Beretta/Kolar better? Sell the one you shoot better, your at the wheel now and a lucky guy in the end? Don't see any problems in my view

Reactions: Johnnyblues

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, that sucks!
If I were in your shoes, I'd send it back to Beretta and shoot the Kolar. When it comes back, sell it and get some of your money back...Wife not as unhappy.
I really love the DT11..And would never consider selling it at this point. Shot the Kolar yesterday for the first time, balance is definitely an issue. Way to rear heavy. I’m going to call them tomorrow and see what can be done.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.