Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to use my Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon first time for duck hunting over the weekend. Would it be OK to use this for ducks?:

>
Remington Premier Nitro-Steel Magnum
12 *****, 3 inch length, MAG dram eq, 1 1/4 oz, #3 shot.
>

Is there any down side to using 3 inch cartridge vs. 2 3/4 inch?

I plan on using IC and Modified chokes.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I would use 3" if you are going with steel. I would also paturn your gun before choosing the ammo/choke combo. try a few dif chokes with diff shot. you may find one that shoots better but you are starting out with a good choice.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried the "Remington Premier Nitro-Steel Magnum" mentioned in my first post ... boy do they click like a mule or what! I just took two shots at the range to check the patern and my shoulder still feels sore ... hmm is it the shots or the gun :x

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
How experienced a shotgunner are you? It might be the way you're holding the gun. On the other hand higher velocity does yield much higher muzzle energy which also means much higher shoulder energy. :wink: If you're used to 1200 fps target loads the 1500 fps steel hunting loads might be a bit of a shock. Federal makes a nice 1375 fps 1 1/8 oz steel load (blue box), that might be a little more to your liking. Those are like nothing to me as I weigh 235 and am used to shooting the 3.5" goose loads. Well, o.k. no one can ever really get "used to" the 3.5" goose loads. :lol:

-Dave

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think body weight may be one reason, I am only 155 lbs :lol:

well I would say I am a fairly experience shotgunner though you're right that I've been used to the 1200 fps target loads lately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.