Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking for a semi auto for duck hunting has anyone out there tried one of these, Where are they made and what do you think i want to keep my budget under $500 because it will get used and dinged any other semi autos out there you could recommend for this price or less thanks in advance.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am not familiar with that firearm but recently went through weeks of research, asking questions, looking at shotguns, all with the very same intent and price range you mention. I even looked at much more expensive options including the Extrema, the M2, and the SBE.

I purchased the Wally World 390 Beretta (around $550.00) and could not be happier. For what it is worth, I purchased mine at Bass Pro. I have considered buying one and keeping it in the unopened box as an investment. I don't think they will continue to produce this firearm and sell it at that price forever.

It is definitely worth your time to check them out.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Look around for a decent used 11-87. Run you around $300-350. Parts and service, a plus with the Remington. Every gunsmith has parts for them. Not so with many of the foreign made shotguns. After a few times back to the factory with some of those foreign made guns, you'll be glad that your local gunsmith can have you back up and running while you chew the fat with him.

·
Registered
779 Posts
One more gun to check out is the Stoeger 2000 I do tend to (abuse) my guns a little while duck and goose huntin. and do drown the gun that I use at least once or twice a year. So I am thankful for Synthetic stock's and forearms. :lol: oh ya and for the good old LSA military Oil !!!

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
I'll second the Beretta 390 Wal Mart for a new model. If you look around some you might be able to find new left over Browning Gold's or Winchester SX2's for close to your price range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I have tried to find the walmart special order gun catalog that people talk about but without success the website just comes up with some chokes and barrels and Air guns i guess im looking in the wrong place but have spent a couple hours on this really want to have a look at the Beretta and what else they have i went to website outdoor living hunting no luck
Also im in LA i will have to call around to find the nearest walmart that i can order from before driving on a wild goose chase so the stocking no would help when i call up the associate and ask if i can order a gun before driving miles to the store or if they have it in stock So if anyone has this link or where to find it i would apreciate it.
One more question 26inch or 28 inch barrel for duck hunting or is this irrelevant excuse my lack of knowledge here maybee a dumb question but i want to get it right first time
Also thanks for your input i appreciate the advice

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey rockett, another choice for around your price range is the mossberg 930 or 935, just got my 935 today and like it thus far. Havent shot it yet but it seems solid. Ive talked to quitw a few ppl who have them and they love them. The dealer a bought from said that he has sold a few and have a few more ppl ready to get them as well.

Im going to the range in a couple of days so Ill post again afterwards. Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
rockett65 said:
Thanks I have tried to find the walmart special order gun catalog that people talk about but without success the website just comes up with some chokes and barrels and Air guns....
It's not online. Go to the gun counter and ask for the special order catalog. The 2009 version is now in color with lots of purdy pictures! It lists all the guns that they can order, along with the SKU so you can price it right there. Takes about 5 days, 1/2 $ down when placing the order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou im heading of to bass pros to check out the Stoeger and Beretta today if i prefer the Beretta i will go back to Walmart Or ask Bass pros to price match it wait my 10 days again then pick it up.
Thanks Elk hunter for clearing that up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my bass pros had neither in stock they said they could order 3091 cynergy for $909 and there distributor had no info on a stoeger 2000 without a pistol grip he could not tell me how much, its so hard to find anyone to sell you a gun in this state it sucks im now going to battle with walmart see what happens there ill update on the progress this state (California) sucks for hunters

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I got the Weatherby SA-08 in a 20ga. and used it as my quail gun and shoot some skeet with also.Had it now for about a year and have not had a problem with it.
For the price, don't think you can go wrong.It is also a nice looking gun and wood to metal, they all fit well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your wal-mart beretta is gonna be your best bet for a reliable semi auto for 500 or less and i'm not sure you can buy it for under 600 after taxes. But for the money thats definetly the way to go. It's a beretta...nuff said. I can't tell you a thing about the weatherby. I don't know anyone who owns one, but if the make shotguns as well as the make rifles then they're pretty decent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi gents thanks for all your input really appreciate it i just dropped my Lab of today to Hightest retrievers in Sacramento for a 3 month gun dog course now if i only can get my gun before duck season all will be well some people kindly forwarded a link to me and im hoping to purchase the walmart Beretta 3901 i believe it is called the citizen,
Thanks again rockett65

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I might add to this mix that I use my Stoeger 2000 more than I do the 11-87. Both of them have served me well. The 2000 is a lot lighter but with a Limbsaver, it is a dream to shoot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
rockett65
I see you purchased a Beretta 390. I'd like to say congratulations on that, but having some knowledge of Beretta after market service, that would be a disservice to you and others who might be contemplating a Beretta.
Evbutller had it right on by saying that a "domestic shotgun can be fixed while you chat to the gunsmith".
The domestics may cost more up front, but wait 'til you have to get one of the imports fixed. Not that a high purchase price necessarily translates into better levels of service; Beretta being a case in point.
By the time the needed part makes its way across the ocean via sailing ship around the horn your gun will be in museum archives.
Of the 2000+ members in my club, the serious shooters (those who shoot more than the obligatory 50 rounds of clays 3 days before hunting season),virtually all have some form of grief in getting their foreign guns fixed.
All this said, they also have had issues with domestics, though not as much or as frequently.
Not that foreign guns are known for their poor quality, indeed the bulk of them are of the best in production anywhere on the planet; yet parts supply still seems to be the albatross that dogs them to no end.
In the attempt to keep costs down domestic manufacturers (Weatherby, Remington, Mossberg etc.) are turning to overseas to supply the market with the O/U's and SA's that Mr. or Mrs. Blue Collar can afford.
Good on them for the effort, but it is incumbent on them to provide an established service network in proportion to the new product availability.
This seems to be lacking.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey,

I own both the B 390 and the Stoeger 2000. The 2000 is my duck gun and I love it. Got it for well under $500 at Dicks Sporting Goods on sale about 2 years ago (I think it was closer to $350). My 390 is a 20 ga it is a great gun also.

If they were the same price, same gauge I would definately go with the 390. I think the re-sale, parts, etc are just better.

Last It will probably start a war but, if duck hunting gets you more into goose hunting you might want to look into a gun that does 3.5 inch shells which neither of these do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Made my decision on the 3901 citizen i found one in boise Idaho Cabelas for $579 they charge 25 for shipping so my final cost is
$604.00 gun and shipping
$135.94 DOJ paperwork fees and sales tax $25 $50 $60.94 respectively
$739.94 total cost to me
In Los Angeles Culver City Retting wanted $850 plus tax and paperwork fees they do throw in the holier than thou attitude for free though. I should get my gun 10 days from yesterday and looking forward to bagging some ducks this season once again thanks everyone for your input it really was a toss up for me on the Stoeger 2000 and the Beretta 3901 my decision was made by your guys input reading from the internet and resale value i will post pictures when i recieve the gun Thanks Rockett

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i got my 390 and used it dove hunting in Casa Grande Arizona opener it cycles very reliably and think it will need to be fit before i can decide if really like it am planning on going to the range next week and shooting some more with it thanks everyone for their input i have tried to upload photos but have been unsuccesfull.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.