Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are going to hunt the same slough together this year with some freinds of ours and so we sat and discussed duck hunting during our meal at my niece's birthday party.

The disussion of the culinary aspects eventually arose and he described his favorite method of cooking duck. He marinates duck breasts (woodys, teal, etc.) in a Teriyaki marinade for 45 minutes to an hour while the grill heats up. He then wraps each breast with a slab of bacon skewering the ends to hold them in place and places them on the grill.

He says it's the best way to do duck and his entire family loves them. H has also done it with small goose breasts as well.

What are your favorite recipes for preparing waterfowl? I am interested because I am not thoroughly crazy about eating them and don't like shooting many if I have no intention to consume them.

I wanna eat my ducks and gesse, so let's here those recipes! :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's a twist for you. I have friends that will bring their ducks and/or geese to a local Chinese restaraunt and pay to have them cooked. It kind of defeats the purpose if you're on a budget but they cook it nice and tasty from what I hear.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Plucked, waxed, gutted, and washed - the whole bird, not just the breast - stuff the cavity with wedges of green apple and sweet onion, wrap it in double thick aluminum foil with white wine - 1 cup for a teal, 1-1/2 cups for a woodie or a 'bill, 2 cups for a mallard - bake it at 325 for 1-1/2 hours. Serve with a side of wild rice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take the breast and marinate in Itialian Dressing overnight.

Take Jalapenos and cut in half.

Wrap the duck breast around 1/2 Jalapeno then wrap with a peice of bacon and pierce with a toothpick to hold together.

Cook on the grill and baste with Itialian Dressing.

I like to serve with grilled vegies. I take yellow and zukini squash and chop up. Take large sheet of heavy duty alluminum foil and place vegies in the middle and bring the sides up into the shape of a large bowl. Add butter, spices and 1 cup water. Close the top of the alluminum and place on the grill. Takes about 20 min on a hot grill so start before the duck breast.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My kitchen qualifications extend only to washing the dishes, so I liked this thing a friend of mine did with a couple of geese last year. Which was to cut them into manageable chunks and put them in a slow cooker with cream of mushroom soup, and cook them for I guess 4 or 5 hours.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
wrap it in tin foil with skin on, cook at 325 for 2 hours,
throw duck away and eat tin foil.....

It was too easy to pass up..

If you skin and breast them out, soak in milk overnight, hit it tough with tony chacheris (sp), brown sugar, garlic powder, salt (i use kosher) and pepper then put it on a really hot grill and seer on both sides them move to 325 degree oven to finish, making sure not to cook more than medium rare.

Make a red sauce using sweet red wine, currants, raspberries (my favorite) and just spoon some of the sauce over the ducks, serve with green salad and some grilled veggies or my favorite baked sweet potatoe.

G

·
the best way to make ducks is duck confeit a pain in the *** to make but well worth it. way to many steps to type so consult a cook book but trust me its worth it

·
Registered
518 Posts
Slice breast meat in 1/4 inch strips, dip in flour/egg batter mixture, brown in skillet, then simmer with mango chutney. Do not overcook. It comes out moist, sweet, and delicious.

Favorite #2: Take whole breast, put on broiler pan, poke holes, fill with garlic clove slices, cover with pepper bacon, then cover with orange marmalade. Broil.

:D Yummy!

Least favorite: Baking whole. Dry and Boring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.