Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but with still a couple of weeks to go, hoping that some birds will make the push south is about all that the hunters can do.I will be heading back to AR to chase some snows during Feb-Mar, as there is no bag limits, no plugs required, electronic calls are allowed and no special license needed, although you do need a free permit.That still leaves the tree rats, bunnies, quail, snipe, crows, and blackbirds wide open.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that Jay....I took two fellas from Montgomery...that.....I....um....know!, yeah I know them from....from......school!, yeah, we all went to school....so, anyway, these guys come up to hunt from Montgomery.I showed them how I work for my ducks by using the Poke Boat....they saw woodies, gadwall, mallards 40 or so, black ducks atleast 15 and they missed a nice drake that I let go past me to them, jumped a pintail and they saluted him as he went away....still, I mangaged a pair of woodies, and a drake mallard, and they got a drake ringneck and a nice drake gadwall.Some of these same areas had no birds just two weeks ago, but with the temps falling the ducks are concentrating.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our duck season ended yesterday (Sun. 1/12/2003)The temperature dropped dramatically here last Friday cuasing lakes and ponds to freeze. Combined with record low water levels, there wasn't much huntable water on the lakes. Watching the waterfowl reports, we discovered that there were alot ducks using one of the local lakes, however there wasn't much open water. Ice doesn't scare our Jon boat.Saturday we went out, found out where the ducks and geese were, but didn't even see any in the air where we setup. Frustrated and disappointed we left and went back to my place to regroup and find tommorrow's spot.Well, we always see ducks using the river. There are alot of farms by it, and the moving water doesn't freeze as easily. We looked at the satellite photos online and found where we could access the boat and get on the river between two lakes in the area.Sunday we went down there a little late, we didn't know where we were going and didn't want to pick a spot in the dark. Good thing too, we ended up setting our dekes out in some backwater behind some sandbars at a turn in the river. We parked the boat upriver a little ways and layed up on the bank in some grass.There were ducks everywhere and apparently the hunting pressure was low too. We'd just sit there without calling and the ducks would land RIGHT IN THE HOLE IN OUR SPREAD. Due to the low waterline, we were kind of far away from the decoys, making most of our shots 30 - 40 yards out.First we had some Gaddies come crashing right into our decoys. I raised up, emptied my gun and missed, one of my partners got a double, and the other missed as well. But that got the skunk off. After that, we had a few mallards try and come in, when they flared we shot, but just got feathers. Then a single greenhead came into our spread, I mounted my gun and shot once...he was dead where he fell. We had another pair of mallards come right in and light. I missed the drake on the first shot, dropped him on the second, and then shot the hen with my third shot.Well, apparently my partner who got the double earlier was convinced that he shot the drake. After sqabbling over this duck for a few minutes, we both realized what had happened. When the duck hit the water, the water boiled with blood. The only thing we could deduce was that we both shot him at the same time. I gave him the hamburger duck. :D We had alot of other ducks work our spread, but none commited to it. We watched a big group of mallards give us a look for about 4 minutes straight... That was more of a rush than anything else that day, and we didn't even get a shot off.Jay, don't worry, next year Rick and I will make a waterfowler out of you. We'll teach you the fine art of making a blind out of driftwood so you can sit in it and drink coffee, eat donuts, and tell lies while you wait for the ducks to come in.:rollin --Wing"Believe me, Delmar, Woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man!" -- Ulysses Everett McGill, to his friend, Delmar O'Donnell, in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only if he comes up with the camo vs of the SG products :)

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
It closes the Jan 26th here...ya'll hurry and come to Texas and we'll do some huntin' here. I hope you're right, Wing, about them all moving down South. I'll let you know Saturday or Sunday.Don't worry about my hunting clothes...I'm always safe and wear lots of 'Hunter Orange' when I go duck hunting. :rolleyes Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a friend come up from Montgomery to hunt today....we went to the TN river to try our luck on scaup. We had 9 birds in about 10 minutes after shooting time, so we were picking up the dekes less than 30 minutes into the day. Since this was a 3 man limit on scaup we all headed down river to look for some other diver ducks, specifically bufflehead and goldeneye. We managed 1 bufflehead and also had some gadwalls work right over the diver spread....this consisted of 10-12 mixed diver decoys on mainlines and about 6 singles tossed around the others. We were sitting in a boat just tied to an exposed stump and were more interested to see what was working the river and checking for a flyway to setup on. There were several groups that came by with us just sitting there, but some shooters were just not up to the task of splashing down those speed demons.After the midmorning lull and a stop at the Waffle house for a recharge we left the river and went into the flooded swamp that was full o' woodies. Had a large time watching hundreds of these ducks buzz along the tress, listening to them call, and had a good time standing in cold water with friends recounting past hunts only to be interupted by "Ducks!" followed by the shot and splash of birds. We managed 17 birds all together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.