Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how well the alloy receivers hold up. I currently have a Stoeger Condor and the receiver is steel (not sure what grade) but even it will occasionally get gouges between the fore body and receiver despite my best efforts to clean and grease it after a day of shooting.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
If you will scroll down the thread list you will see where a member conducted a long durability test. There is the info you need.

If you plan on shooting a lot of clays there is a steel frame model for about $40 more. See the above thread.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
For hunting, and casual target shooting, the alloy receiver will hold up just fine, for serious target shooting, go with the steel receiver as BADDUCK said.

cdb

·
Registered
24 Posts
First, good luck finding the steel receiver model. Academy does not carry the sporting clays version anymore and I want to say they have discontinued the most recent steel receiver model. That being said, I have put around 4500-5000 rounds threw my Yildiz SPZ-ME and the aluminum receiver looks and performs just as good as the day I bought it. It is still a pretty tight gun after that many rounds as well. You will most likely run into firing pin issues (mine let go at 3500 rounds) long before the aluminum receiver will ever give you any issues. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
324 Posts
dmwilson2009 said:
First, good luck finding the steel receiver model. Academy does not carry the sporting clays version anymore and I want to say they have discontinued the most recent steel receiver model.
I was at Academy's 81st Street Metro Tulsa location yesterday and they had both the silver engraved and case color non-engraved steel frame SPZ ME's on display there. First I've seen of them. Case color was $799.99 and I would have bought it if I didn't have other priorities standing in the way.

I like the aluminum-frame guns, though. I have a 12 ga. and three of the 28 ga. examples in my household (daughter's is 26" bbl, son's and mine are 28" bbl.) and they're holding up just fine. I want the steel frame as more of a dedicate clay crunching gun and I want it in a Yildiz because of the way my pair fit me with zero modification required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.