Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3,322 Posts
Well, I don't know, but my guess is anybody who sells hearing aids could do it - if not, they can tell you who can.

I've bought several pair from guys who set up a table at a tournament. Ask some of the other shooters where they got theirs.

· Registered
389 Posts
There are many types of ear plugs. Over the years, I have found the "fitted" type you mention to be hands down the Best.
To aquire them, you must see your Audiologist. They will make a custom mold of your ear canal. Turnaround time is around 1 week. As far as make and model, I prefer Westone Laboratories. I can hear normal conversations, yet they shut down at the shotgun report, or any noise above 75 decibel. Best of all, is the comfort. I can wear them all day long. They are so comfortable, I have even forgot about having them in.
They are well worth, the cost.

· Registered
3,322 Posts
I think Blklabman was talking about the electronic kind, that operate like hearing aids but cut off loud noises. I may be wrong, but I assumed we were talking about the solid molded-rubber kind.

· Banned
1,105 Posts
You can find a vendor for molded plugs by making an inquiry at almost any medium to large trap or skeet club. They cost between $25-40 and take about 20 minutes to make.

The are comfortable for all day use, but they don't block the noise as well as a simple expanding foam plug.

· Registered
2,687 Posts
bridgeburner said:
The ay comfortable for all day use, but they don't block the noise as well as a simple expanding foam plug.
I agree with this and the best that I have found are these:

http://www.earinc.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=32

Howard Leight makes a model with a comparable NRR but the plus is much larger and isn't as comfortable in the ear. These work so well, I can't hear people talking more than three feet away.

Another advantage to these is that you use them for one day and then throw them away. I have gotten ear infections in the past and, knowing how painful they are, I am leery of pushing the same thing into my ear over and over with all the dirt that accumulates on it.

· Registered
389 Posts
MrBen said:
I think Blklabman was talking about the electronic kind, that operate like hearing aids but cut off loud noises. I may be wrong, but I assumed we were talking about the solid molded-rubber kind.
I have both types. The fitted Electronic run around $350-1,000 depending on model, and the fitted molded run around $200. With the fitted electronic you have the option adjustment coupled with all day comfort. Normal conversations can heard but any noise over 75 decibel and they will shut down. For comfort for wearing all day, and protection either at the range or hunting they cant be beat. I can be in layout blind and talk to the person next to me with ease. However when you do fire, they shut down in so many tenths of a second tighter than foam plugs do. While shut down, they only allow 10 decibel to enter. Foam plugs allow 25 decibel. So for all intent and purpose's. your deaf. Once the offending noise passes, a second or two later the plugs will open back up.
The fitted molded offer the exact protection and comfort without the adjustment to hear normal conversation. I prefer them on OOS, OOC hunts.
Your Audiologist will give you anitseptic swaps, to use on the plugs that will not hurt them. I went to fitted plugs 8 years ago, and have not had any problems, nor could I be happier.After being sent to Samolia and loosing 40% of hearing in the right ear, and 35% in my left, some 12 years ago, I consider even $1,000 to be very cheap when it comes to hearing protection.

· Registered
240 Posts
I got mine for $35.00 at Thunder Mtn in Northern NJ. Non-electronic.
I get the impression that many local ranges have someone who will make them on the spot.
Took about 15 minutes to mold, 10 minutes to be coated and dried. Took them home after a round of trap.
I went to a few audiologists in my area and 3 wanted the same thing for anywhere from $75 to $100.
Try shopping around.
I really enjoy the comfort

· Registered
1,919 Posts
I went to the audioligist this morning for a hearing test and to get the casts of my ears. The casts will be sent to EARInc in Boulder, Co., for the plugs (not elecronic ones) to be made. They should be back in a couple of weeks. I'll report back on cost, how they work, etc. My hearing is getting worse so it is time to block out everything while shooting.

I don't want to join the "Huh"? generation!

· Registered
389 Posts
bridgeburner said:
Yeah, $35 is about the going rate. Never heard of those things costing $200. Must have been for the whole family!
That is the price, of the model I prefer. They of course are from an Audiologist. The price is the same with other's in this area. Once a person starts making serious inquires about what is out there today, they will see there are ""MANY"" different makes and models on the market. Even with being "fitted", some are superior, and offer better protection and comfort than others. One just has to decide, what is best for them

· Registered
4,175 Posts
Conman wrote: I don't want to join the "Huh"? generation!

I guess that would be me.

I cannot hear higher pitched sounds and have trouble hearing when there is a lot of background noise. I am tired of having to ask my students to repeat questions in my lectures.

I went to an audiologist last week and he is certain he can help me. I stated shooting when no one was careful about ear protection. I expect to buy a pair of hearing aids in January.

I hunt, shoot and teach shotgunning with either Peltor 6.5 electronic muffs or an older pair of Beretta E-muffs. The peltors give better sound quality. I especially like scouting for ducks wearing them as I can pick out calling ducks in a cacophony of redwinged black birds with them on.

I do not like to wear them when I am calling turkeys or ducks as I cannot get a feel for how loud I am.

· Registered
389 Posts
bridgeburner said:
So, tell me how an "Audiologist" squishes that goop in your ear differently than I would? The only real difference is the extra $165 for the title. Molded plugs are molded plugs. It ain't rocket science.
Use seem to have some type of chip on your shoulder. On that I really could care less. I have only told what I have found out by talking to, and dealing with Audiologist for the last 12 years. Tell you what. Why dont you do some in depth research on the makes and models used, and report back your findings. Make it REAL information. Not slanted or false. I'll tell you straight up. I tend to believe the people who make their living dealing with the stuff day in and day out, over a know it all on an internet forum.
My turn now.
Since you have a chip on your shoulder, I'll get one too.
You are the same person who "claimed" to have hunted Argentina oh so many time's, and have never seen a Benelli. I call PURE Horsechit on that one Hoss. I'm tempted to call BS that you have ever been. Please tell me and all of us, the names of your Outfitter(s) you have used. I would love to give them a call, and ask them questions. I'm going back in July, and might even book with them for next summer. BTW Hoss- Benelli's and the Beretta 391 are VERY prevalent down there. :roll:

· Banned
1,105 Posts
OK Bubba. I asked a simple question, but instead of giving an answer to why anyone would pay $200+ for a $35 set of plugs, you twist and wiggle your answer into a different post and also call me a BS'r. No, I'm not a BS'r and by failing to tell me what an audiologist does differently than any vendor who's been making the same plugs over the past 30 years, you lead me to believe that you know little about the subject, if any at all. Audiologist my arse.

The answer to your completely off topic question would be Pica Zuro, LaPaloma Riverside and two private holdings in Cordoba.

· Registered
385 Posts
I use Hearos. They're blue foam plugs rated around 80 or 90. Inexpensive yet protective 'solution'. And yeah, you can throw them away.

Foam or not, don't stick anything in your ear that you forgot to wash. :lol: Earaches are really painful :cry:

· Banned
1,105 Posts
BLKLABMAN,

Sorry sonny, but I can't let that one slide. You say you have no desire to argue because you worked nine hours (what that has to do with anything is beyond me), yet you take the time to tell me to verify your BS by calling your audiologist. Furthermore, you then stepped this up a notch by calling me a liar & an idiot and that I will not tolerate. I understand your reaction, for you made a claim and now you cannot back it up. YOU lied and were caught. I called your bluff and you are not man enough to admit you are wrong. YOU are the typical person on this site with little to no experience, yet YOU insist on making stupid recommendations to other new shooters seeking some advice. This in itself is all too commonplace, but you have crossed the line and acted like a cornered animal, which is not typical of the gentlemen who frequent this site. To scold a carrier of tall tales and set a story straight is one thing, but to resort to calling a MAN a liar and an idiot will get you more than you bargained for. I don't expect to hear a retraction of your ill chosen words for you lack the ability to admit when you are wrong, but I do demand to hear no more of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.