Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can confirm my findings and let me know what I should be insuring this shotgun for. It is a Browning FN A5 made in Belgium, It has the trigger safety and it has a butt stock without a pistol grip. All the writing on the LH side refers to the "Fabrique Nationale Herstal Liege Belgium Browning's Patenents" and the dates below that. There is no referance on the gun to Ogden Utah, and the right hand side has very little markings. The serial # forward of the loading port is 3442 with a little square box underneath, within that box is a "V". As far as I can tell this gun was manufactured in early 1924 as per the blue book. Iam just confused as the earlier posts indicate those guns have Ogdan Utah stamped on it? THE BARREL is aprox 28" long, smooth round with a small forward sight. It also has many makers stamps, along with "ACIER SPECIAL" stamped on it. Thanks

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
The bluebooks dating on A-5s is very good after importation into the U.S. officially started which is 1924 when the serialization chart starts, however there is about 20 years of A-5 production not listed, which appears to be what you have.

A Straight stock has been associated with those early early production guns.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
From what I've seen it's a pre 1924 gun probably brought over by individuals or importers in small lots.

I'd estimate your gun to be 1908 -1910..

from what I've been able to discern the ealier A-5's draw prices similar to the other first generation guns . I just browsed some of the classified sites and the boys are trying to get $500 or so out of guns that should be worth $300- $350 (very good condition price)

G

·
Dear Canfire,
If you are willing to sell your vintage straight stocked Browning A-5 I'm certainly interested to buy it, as I'm a vivid collector of earlier (Pat. 1903) Browning A-5's of belgian production. But also if you are not willing t sell your gun and just want to exchange opinions on your or any other Browning A-5, feel free to contact me anytime.
Yours: Thalis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.