Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If I wanted to just spray paint my express barrel and receiver with Krylon flat black camo paint, and then spray sealer on top of it, would that be sufficient enough to stop rusting?

I'm concerned that it may just melt off if the barrel gets to hot. If not, it seems like a cost effective way of protecting the exposed metal parts.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Honestly, I've had no rust problems with my 870 Express. It gets abused while turkey hunting, deer hunting, duck hunting. I wipe it down with Rem Oil and that's about it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Me either. My express is my gun that gets abused. It's the one that spends the time in the canoe and in camp. If any gun of mine would rust it, would be this one

When I get home I shoot it down with some oil in a sray can, wifpe it off and that's about it. No rust at all.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
jlptexashunter said:
Paint the barrel with Krylon High Heat Black and the rest of the gun with their flat camo paint.

Honestly just get some of this:
http://www.theinhibitor.com/theinhibitor/store.asp?id=7
Interesting link, how does that shell model work..and/or does it really work? Looks like the thing would keep your chamber rust free, but what about the rest of the gun?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Have you ever thought about a generous coating of your favorite gun oil? Spray it down and lightly wipe off excess has worked for long as I can remember.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a friend who duck hunts with an early model 11-87. He stripped the blueing, primered it, and spray painted it with the flat black paint used on gas cooking grills about 3 years ago and has been very happy with it. looks just like the matte finish and seems to be more durable and rust resistant.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
claybreaker said:
I have a friend who duck hunts with an early model 11-87. He stripped the blueing, primered it, and spray painted it with the flat black paint used on gas cooking grills about 3 years ago and has been very happy with it. looks just like the matte finish and seems to be more durable and rust resistant.
That is what I like to hear :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
For years Ive heard of this rusting on express rems... "if you even look at it the wrong way it will start rusting before your eyes" and so forth.
Thing is I bought an express 870 nearly 7 years ago that ive used quite reg. in wet cond., and have no problems w/ rust. Ill admit the matte finish isnt nearly as pretty as my nicer rifles or wingmaster blueing....but rust, Nope.
As w/ all my rifles SGs and HGs, when im done using them, I clean them/ Oil them and wipe them down.
Dont ride it hard and put it away wet and youll be all set..
hey that rymes

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have no axe to grind on Remmys but you might look into that coating.

A few weeks back my bud bought a new 1187 to use (instead of tearing up his OU's whcih he paints black :D ) and we went on a rainy hunt with the gun brand new out of the box. It was properly cleaned and oiled ahead. We hunted a rice field in drizzly rain (no salt marshes around) about 3 hours and wiped the water off the guns at the truck with a towel when we were loading back up . I brought the gun back to my house as he had somewhere to go. I let his new 1187 set in the garage along with one of my Xtrema 2's for another maybe 2 hours. I went out and was going to just wipe it down and I could see rust and more when I pulled the forearm. I got busy quick and cleaned the rust from his gun and cleaned the rest and lubed everything with G96 synthetic.

He said let it go and he would just paint it :D ! My eyebrows were raised over the rust in the operating system. I had never seen that in the older 1100's or 870's much less in that short time. Maybe the QC on coating and blue is spotty or something.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Silicon oil in a spray can. It is a polar oil that attaches itself to metal at the molecular level. And that monomolecular layer is very hard to wash off with water. Silicon oil originally was and still is the answer to the waterfowler's prayer for a rust preventative.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've owned two expresses, the first a standard and the second a magnum. Both of these guns rusted worse than any other guns I have ever owned in my entire life.

I'll admit I'm hard on shooter type guns like these, but none of my other inexpensive guns that were treated the same ever rusted as bad as these. I'm sure though if you wipe the gun down after every use, without fail, with a decent product, that you can get by pretty well. But if you get the gun a little damp one time and don't clean it for a couple days, be prepared for Mr Rust short term and permanent freckles thereafter. Just reporting my experience.

Jeff

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 870 is from 1987 and has been fine with rem oil up until this year. Did some hard hunting last year during deer season with it and this year. While lost in thought on a drive this year I saw a tiny little speck on the barrel. To me that is exceptable after so many years of constant use.

I can say I will be looking at that inhibitor, looks like a good product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts