Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love to shoot dove and will eat most everything that moves but sometimes my family just dosen't agree with me. So how can I fix dove so that my 2 rug rats will enjoy (and I emphasize enjoy) them.

cD Tanthalas
Shotgun Expert
(9/26/02 1:00:38 pm)
Re: Eat'n dove
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cheese whiz...lol

TheWingshooter
Shotgun Expert
(9/26/02 1:34:10 pm)
Re: Eat'n dove
The best way takes LOTS of prep work but is well worth it.

Take each breast and make a slice on each side of the keel. Then put a sliced jalapeno in each slit you made. Wrap it in bacon and put a toothpick through it to hold the bacon in place. Grill em up and you're good to go. Believe me, after you taste it you'll be praying that they don't like it.

Oh, btw...watch out as the bacon can cause the grill to flare up.

--Wing

"If it flies...it dies."

Howie1049
Frequent SW Visitor
(9/26/02 3:56:48 pm)
Reply EAT'n Dove
This is a little wordy but, this is good for the family.
Ingredients; 2 to 3# of Doves, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 white onion-chopped, 1 carrot-peeled and coarsely chopped, 1 celery stalk-coarsely chopped, 1 cup of dry white wine, 1 teaspoon Madras(curry powder), 2 cups of chicken stock, 1 granny smith or other tart apple-peeled-cored and coarsely chopped.
Method; Cut Doves into smaller serving pieces. In a large saute pan over high heat, warm two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the dove pieces and brown on all sides, 2-3 min. Add the onion, carrot and celery, reduce heat to med-high and saute until vegetables are golden brown. Add the white wine and cook until liquid evaporates, 5-8 mins. Stir in the curry powder and chicken stock, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to med and simmer, uncovered until the dove pieces are cooked through when pierced with a knife, 8-10 longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the dove to a serving dish and cover to keep warm. Continue to simmer the sauce over med. heat until reduce by half 5-8 mins. In a small saute pan over med. heat, warm the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the apple and saute until tender but firm. Pour the cooked apple over the doves. Strain the reduce sauce through a fine mesh sieve into clean container, throw the crap out of the sieve. Pour sauce over the dove and chow down. Shells

Smokey
(9/27/02 7:33:35 am)
Reply Re: EAT'n Dove
Thanks...I'm slobberng...I'm glad you didn't say place dove on cedar board and spice it up nicely. Place in prewarmed oven for 30 minutes, remove from oven, throw dove away and eat board. This only works with carp.

Howie1049
Frequent SW Visitor
(9/29/02 5:15:21 pm)
Reply EAT'n Dove
I do have several French recipes for spring carp, you know while the carp are still firm from cooler HOH. Shells

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(9/29/02 9:35:50 pm)
Re: EAT'n Dove
Howie, I dont think us Americans are as familiar with the delicacies of eating carp...not knowing that it is served in fine restaurants, etc in Europe...we generally count them as trash fish, however those that come from clear running streams have a nice frim flesh and lack the muddy taste the river run variety have, although filled with small bones they can be cooked into a very palatable dish. They are also one fun fish to catch, they are plentiful, somewhat difficult to catch, and put up great fight.
There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

JackRyann
Frequent SW Visitor
(9/30/02 1:02:49 am)
Once was enough for me.
The feathers/meat ratio just doesn't work for me.
Kill it and Grill, yeah! I love animals. They're tasty!

Howie1049
Frequent SW Visitor
(10/7/02 10:40:46 am)
Reply EAT'n Dove
Most of the Gents I hunt and fish with take great pride in their cooking skills. The restricted time in the field and on the water means they treat their game as delicacies for special occasions. Treats for their friends, etc. That I believe is the crowning glory of our respect sport. Shells

Sporting Clays Girl
Women's Shotgun Expert
(10/7/02 5:58:42 pm)
Umm i like to put it in gyros (and you might not know what those are). Also have your wife cut the breast (of the dove) up and put it in pasta instead of beef it also works on spaggetti, and you can have dove fagitas (or however you spell it).
Or give them (if they like spicy stuff) grilled dove breast covered in Creole Seasoning i don't have the recipe for creole season but its a southern thing so maybe jay does!

Creole Seasoning
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
2 tablespoons dried sweet basil
1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
5 tablespoons sweet paprika

try that and if you like it alot just increase the amounts!!

Edited by: Sporting Clays Girl at: 10/8/02 3:49:56 pm

Howie1049
Frequent SW Visitor
(10/8/02 12:03:16 pm)
Whom doesn't know what a GYROS is ????????

Sporting Clays Girl
Women's Shotgun Expert
(10/8/02 4:46:20 pm)
Well hicks or people who haven't been cultured many of my friends have no clue what they are , or they can be called many different names which often confuse me. Pita Bread Sandwiches, Goat burgers, all of those fun names

Edited by: Sporting Clays Girl at: 10/11/02 7:43:56 pm

Howie1049
Frequent SW Visitor
(10/9/02 10:57:54 am)
Reply EAT'n Dove
Well young lady...as you'll see with your own forum. Enlighten and Brighten their lives. If you know better, show it. Like I've told my own daughter, hey baby, you don't have to take the back seat to no one if you got the education. Shells

wineguy
(10/11/02 2:44:59 pm)
Reply Re: Eat'n dove
We also like to cook dove on the grill with a slice of jalapeno and wrapped in bacon. For a little flavor variation I like to baste them as they are cooking. In El Paso we use Claude's BBQ Brisket Marinade Sauce, a local favorite. Wash em down with an ice cold Tecate w/lime.

www.claudessauces.com/

Or omit the jalapeno and Claude's and just grill them wrapped in bacon. When done, toss with a splash of good olive oil, some balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. With this I prefer a nice Italian red such as the 1998 Barbaresco from Paladino.

Bon Appetit

Howie1049
Frequent SW Visitor
(10/12/02 8:25:39 am)
Reply Re: Eat'n dove
Now that is a cooking hint..........Shells

Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(10/13/02 12:31:54 am)
ezSupporter
Re: Creole Seasoning
Hey SC Girl,
I lived in Louisiana for 8 years and all of them used Tony Thatchery (Spelling?) for everything. Every grocery store has them. Green and white round tube (like salt comes in).
I think this is what you were talking about.
regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com

victorlvlb
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(4/27/03 4:58:43 pm)
Reply Re: Creole Seasoning
steam them brown them on in a pan or on the grill with a bacon wrap.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.