Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 12GA Sizemaster. I can pick one up for under $150 NIB from Midway with my dealer discount (C&R FFL) but have been poking around on eBay as well.

Can somebody tell me the differences between some of the different models I see posted on eBay? For example, a search for "sizemaster" right now hits an SM77 and an SM82. What are the practical differences between these two?

Are their models to be avoided? Specifics to look for when looking at eBay offerings, etc.?

Thanks!

Darren

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
The only difference in the previous models of Sizemasters and Grabbers is that the older ones can't be adapted to load 3" shells.

Other than that, they're basically identical, except the auto-primer feeds on the older ones had attached, flip-up lids, whereas the lids come all the way off the later ones.

There's also a relatively new 200-capacity auto-primer feed on the late-model Grabbers and 9000GNs.

But so far as the Sizemasters go, if you'll never need to convert them to load 3" shells you'll probably get a little better deal on the older model.

You should be able to get a good Sizemaster off eBay for about $100 or less, including shipping.

They're always available and I wouldn't pay more than that -- even for one in almost new condition.

I got a virtually brand new, current-model 12 ga. Sizemaster a month or so ago for $89 -- $101 including shipping.

Patience and watching the auctions are the keys to the deals.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
When looking on ebay first click on the sellers name.This will bring up good/bad info.Second ask questions.Most of the folks selling ANY type of loading equipment have NO idea what they are selling :!: Third waiting was good advice-I bought a SM a while back for $55-this included a scale,wads and 110 hulls :twisted:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think anyone gave darren the answer that he wanted (I'm curious too). Which model is the old model, that can't be adjusted for 3 inch hulls? And which is the new model?
Frank

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Either Sizemaster is a teriffic press .Buying one off e-bay makes sence IF the right questions are asked and if enough images are shown to see if the press is rusty and has all the pieces .

Try to get the seller to state that the press is complete and operable and pay by PAY-PAL . Then if the press is not as represented , you have recourse .

You should be patient and eventually get a decent press for less than $100 . It may not have all the paint and may need a bit of clean-up ; now-a-days , I guess that is called "sweat equity " .

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I have loaded with a sizemaster for years. I recently bought a used grabber.

On ebay you can sometimes get a grabber with the collet sizing for about the same price as the sizemasters. I would reccomend the grabber if you can find one at a good price. You can run single shells with it or you can load up all the stations and make shells faster. Lot of press for a small difference at ebay prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts