Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know at what distance #9 shot runs out of enough energy to bust a clay bird? I was shooting 7/8 oz. at about 1250 ft/sec at the trap range and although that's a very pleasant load to shoot, I didn't measure up to my usual miserable standards, and seemed to be just knocking the dust off some of the birds. And of course I'm always in the market for new excuses to try out, some of the old ones are getting kind of shopworn.

·
Super Moderator
2,462 Posts
9s will break 16yd targets if you shoot them promptly. If you ride them out until the target peaks, they are getting out about 45yds from the gun. I think that is a little far for 9s.

I have shot 9s at the 1st shot of doubles with an open choke and crushed targets. But that 1st shot is taken very quickly, probably inside 30 yds from the gun.

Any more I shoot 8s at everything - singles, handicaps and both shots of doubles.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Can't answer when the energy runs out on the #9. But I can give some info from my NRA Firearm Fact Book.

Shot spread, a good rough rule of thumb is when fired from a full choke the pattern will spread roughtly 1" per yard. (thats 40" @ 40 yards, with 512 pellets in that 40" circle I'll bet there's some holes in the pattern, holes that the clay could fit in.) Improved cylinder will spread 1 3/4" per yard.

#9 pellet weights 0.75 grs. (.080")With a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps Max. range @ sea level is 670 ft.

#9 count for chilled shot:
7/8 oz.=512
1 oz.=585
1 1/8 oz.=658

Smallest shot size the book lists for ft. lbs. is #4 buck (.24")and it has 41ft.lbs. @ 40 yards.

Remember it takes 3 or more pellets to break a clay. Hope this info helps. Keith

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
McKie,

The distance at which #9 shot runs out of energy to break a standard size clay target depends on a lot of things. Naturally, it depends on how many pellets you hit the target with and where (on the target) you hit it. There are no hard and fast rules for this, but here are some approximate guidelines.

Edge-on targets are the toughest to break with ANY size shot. With edge-on targets and #9 shot, I'd limit my shots to about 25 yards and at least a Light Modified choke to give suitable pattern density.

The next toughest target presentation is when shooting at the edge/dome of the target such as in a trap shot. With this shot I'd limit my shots to about 28 to 30 yards and at least a Modified choke.

The easiest way to break a target is to hit the underneath "belly" of the target. If you can get an exposed belly shot at a target, you can break these with #9 at almost 40 yards using a Modified choke.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried some #9 last week on the clay range, and didnt do as well as I normally do.

So, this weekend I tried 200 of my regular #7.5 cartridges and did much better.

Not sure if it really was anything to do with the #9`s or if it was purely psychological. Ive 250 of the #9`s left, so will try some more next week and see how I get on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.