Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's father in law gave him a 12 gauge Stevens 820B pump shotgun. I was asked to clean & refurbish the metal and wood stocks. I plan to ask "Id and Value" info on that subforum soon, but while I know the gun is anything but new, I don't know how old it is.

After a thorough cleaning, it successfully cycled and ejected 6 dummy rounds. I then took it to the range and shot a box of shells. All went well until about the 21st shell, when after firing, there was a failure to eject the spent shell casing. I pumped it twice more, and it still failed to eject. I tried to pull out the shell manually, but it was stuck too tightly. I then pumped it for the 4th time very hard. Then the shell ejected satisfactorily, as did the final 4 shells.

My problem is that I have precious little experience with pump shotguns. I'm not sure how significant this is. Does this mean I should ask a gunsmith to check it out? Could it be operator error? I've read about "short stroking" (or something like that) a pump gun. What should I do?

If it could be a simple fix, I would be eager to try it on my own, but I don't have an understanding of precisely how the ejection system works mechanically. I realize that would put me in the bottom 1% of people who regularly follow this subforum, but as a novice, I am eager to learn. Are there videos explaining how the ejection function works? But if a novice shouldn't try something like this, please just say so.

Edit: After watching a video of a semi- auto pistol, perhaps I should clarify. The problem was "extracting" the shell. Once it was finally extracted from the chamber, the shell was successfully ejected out of the gun.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If you were using Walmart 100 packs of Winchesters, then nothing is wrong with the gun.
What ammo were you using?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Federal Top Gun Target Load -- 2 3/4", 7 1/2 shot size, 1 1/8 oz shells. I bought them from Acadamy Sports, not Wal Mart.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,698 Posts
The Rattler said:
Does anyone have advice of what, if anything, I should do?
Your problem is a common problem. The main culprit is the steel heads on the cheap ammo. Even if the heads look like brass, you can be sure they aren't brass on Federal Top Gun ammo. In fact, most of the shells you find in stores are not brass heads.

Winchester AA and Remington STS have brass heads and won't stick. Nearly all other ammo has steel heads. The steel expands and doesn't spring back to its original size the way that brass will do. This causes the shells to sometimes stick in the chamber.

One thing you can do that may help is to polish the chamber. Do this by removing the barrel and putting it in a padded vise or have someone hold it for you. Take a brass bore brush and wrap steel wool around it... preferably 00 or 000 size. Add a little oil to the steel wool. Chuck this into your drill and then insert it into the chamber and polish at low speed. It may take 10-15 minutes or so to make a difference. Clean the barrel well before reassembling the gun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friend, the owner of this 820B Pump, is also interested in keeping it handy for a personal defense shotgun. Do you, Ulysses,or anybody else, know if there are any commercial buckshot or slug shot shells that have brass (as opposed to steel) heads?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
The Rattler said:
My friend, the owner of this 820B Pump, is also interested in keeping it handy for a personal defense shotgun. Do you, Ulysses,or anybody else, know if there are any commercial buckshot or slug shot shells that have brass (as opposed to steel) heads?
I just checked every type of buckshot I have in the house; Remington, Winchester, Federal, and Sellior & Bellot. It's all steel head with a brass washed outer plate.

·
Premium Member
19,698 Posts
I'm not aware of any buckshot loads with brass heads, but then I don't keep up much with those loads. My old buckshot loads (various brands) seem to work OK on the rare occasion when I fire them.

·
Premium Member
19,698 Posts
The Rattler said:
Internet research located "Federal LE12700 Flite-Control Wad - 9 Pellet High Power Buck - 50rds gauge 00 buckshot." See the website below stating these shells have brass heads:

http://www.deltaforce.com/shotgun-parts ... mmo-1.html

These buckshot shells are expensive and have a velocity of 1325 fps vs. the 1150 fps that I shot with the gun last week.
Good find! At over $1 per round, you probably wouldn't want to do a lot of target practice with these rounds, but it might be a good idea to have your home defense gun loaded with these.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts