Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
6,854 Posts
The breech face is what chambers the shells and closes the ejectors, so you will eventually see the evidence of this as wear marks on the breech face. What did you think was closing the ejectors/extractors?

· Registered
649 Posts
You might have a bit of powder or dirt between the extractor and the barrel. Take the barrels off the gun and check to see if the extractor is at all protruding above the barrel end. Check between the barrel and the back of the extractor.

· Registered
5,366 Posts
The angled slot on the inside face of the action wall clearly, visible at the top right of the pic, should engage with a stub pin on the ejector and retract it as the gun is closed. As there's no way to adjust it I'd check for any debris, burrs or damage that might prevent the ejector from seating fully.

Reactions: 25straightmisses

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you everyone for your advice and comments.

I’m leaning to thinking it’s an assembly screw up. Also notice the receiver is an alloy. This is a Rizzini. The ejectors are a harder steel.

Any reason I can’t sand and polish these out?

· Registered
157 Posts

I’m leaning to thinking it’s an assembly screw up. Also notice the receiver is an alloy. This is a Rizzini. The ejectors are a harder steel.

Sanding and polishing will probably make it look worse than it actually is, I’d leave it.

· Registered
2,107 Posts

It appears in the photo that the burr protrudes past the face of the receiver. If that is the case, I'd take a very fine file and remove it from the face. I would leave the mark on the top of the receiver alone.

I kinda figured that was a Rizzini. I have a Connecticut Shotgun M21 O/U that uses a Rizzini style action. Mine also has a slight mark on the top of the receiver. When I bought it, a young man working for the FFL that received it for the transfer came out from his back room with it out of the box and assembled. He apparently wasn't used to assembling a shotgun like this with trunnions and spring loaded ejectors. When I got it home I noticed the mark.

It's easy to do, sorta like the "idiot scratch" on a 1911 from the slide stop. You have to be a lot more careful assembling a shotgun like this then a Browning with a hinge pin and ejectors that lie flat to the the monoblock. I have to say, I'm not crazy about the design. I much prefer the Browning approach to ejectors. The advice in assembly, go slow and be careful that the trunnions are properly engaged before trying to close the action.

· Registered
7,180 Posts
Maybe dings from clumsy assembly? Maybe happened in a take down case? Maybe the gun fell? And somebody put it back in the rack. I do not know that it could not be an ejector problem but it looks like that much over extension would be noticed; It is too bad it happened however it did.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for you help. I feel much better knowing that this is likely from me screwing up the assembly than something intrinsically wrong with the gun. The marks lined up with the ejectors and I just tried to duplicate what the mistake was. Sure enough I must have dinged it that way. I did file down the burr as suggested.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts