Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

How much of an impact will the upcoming election have on the shotgun sports? I expect there will be a run on non-shotgun related ammo and guns before November causing shortages and some price increases, but what about shotguns and say 12 gauge #8 target shells?

Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
33 Posts
GardenGnome414 said:
.... during the times of prior elections so I have no knowledge of what the inventory looked like or what prices were.
If its anything like last time, powder and primers will be worth their weight in gold, IF you can find any.

Factory loads will likely still be available, though possibly at increased prices.

22 LR and "military" ammo will disappear again.

Handgun and "black rifle" sales will explode (again), along with ammo (mentioned above) to fit them.

Target/sporting shotguns shouldn't see much effect, but I expect short barreled "home defense" shotguns to become big sellers.

oregunner said:
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
Yep.

I'm not advocating hoarding or emptying the shelves, but I won't have much sympathy later on for anybody who doesn't lay in a "personal needs" supply in advance.

That's the short version, in my eyes anyway.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I think most of us who went through the past few years have already taken precautions to make sure of not getting caught short again.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
The last mass shooting in Orlando, for the first time in my memory, failed to create a mass gun buying panic.

Either human nature has changed or the American firearms and ammunition industry has finally caused supply to exceed demand. I prefer the latter explanation.

Demand for reloading supplies and traditional shotguns has simply collapsed. Walmart is selling Federal promo loads for $3.50 a box, a price that hasn't been seen in many years. Every gun shop I stop at has a huge glut of unsold ARs and other firearms. Today I paid $8.50 a box for high brass #4 and #6 shells. Sacks of lead shot are barely over $30 a bag.

It could happen that a Democratic victory sets off another buying binge and shortage.

But the financial markets have priced in a Democratic victory. For the first time in our entire lives big business interests are backing and betting on a Democrat for president.

My guess is that to break this supply glut, there would have to be

1. Democratic control of both House and Senate, plus Hillary as President

2. A really bad mass shooting of cute little kids in a grade school, like Sandy Hook

3. Real prospects of a federal black rifle and long magazine ban.

Even then, there are millions of unsold ARs in inventory and lots of ammunition has already been stockpiled. And in the event of a done deal AR ban those rifles will be worthless. Selling one would mean betting felony charges and the end of your life as you know it the buyer wasn't an informant or undercover policeman. You'll be able to keep your AR until your state bans it, but you'll not have any market for it, at all.

If another panic starts I'm unloading every old shotgun I'm just not dearly in love with, so I can buy nice doubles and high grade rifles when the panic ends.

But don't hold your breath.

We may be stuck with all our guns indefinitely.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
There is already a movement to make powder something other than what it is now. The executive orders and rulings from bureaucrats will not cease, the fix is in and we are in the outhouse.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
The truth is there's not been one significant federal gun control action for about 20 years. All the gun control we've had in decades has come from a few states and localities.

These buying panics were based on fear of future laws, and there is always the bandwagon effect that feeds buying panics.

Remember high dollar baseball cards and Beanie babies?

Black rifles and long magazines are in trouble.

All fifty states allow hunting and target shooting and no federal gun law impairing ALL firearms has any chance of passing.

Besides, unless reloading prices come down or loaded ammunition goes up---younger people aren't going to reload shotgun shells at all.

Why, when promo loads are cheaper?

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I learned reloading by doing 12 gauge. Now all I do is 16, 28, 410 and specialty 3/4 oz 12 gauge. With Herters 16 gauge for under $6 a box, it will be the next one to get mothballed.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
oneounceload said:
There is already a movement to make powder something other than what it is now. The executive orders and rulings from bureaucrats will not cease, the fix is in and we are in the outhouse.
Is this reference to a change in the powder supply something that can be linked to a source? I would like to be better informed.

Thank you,

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
The problem with all these false or exaggerated rumors of "the coming gun ban" or whatever is that eventually all the marks get wise.

The media has granted 15 minutes of fame to every screwball that decides to go buy an AR and a Glock and murder a bunch of innocent people in a public place for so long that gun owners are clueless about how many millions of everyday Americans are incredulous that ARs and long magazines are still legal.

We outlaw heroin but we don't outlaw prescription painkillers.

Yes, there are zealots that would outlaw all guns, but my old Mama would have outlawed all booze if she'd been in charge.

We live in a representative democracy that probably one day will outlaw or severely restrict military type weapons and extended magazines.

It won't solve the mass murder problem, and our lives won't end, either.

I never saw an AR-15 until about 20 years ago and until then I had a pretty nice life without one.

Our guns are toys for the most part and someday we might not have so many toys to play with.

We can't change the future, and we shouldn't let fear of change ruin today.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
What are the overall philosophies of the base supporting either candidate? What else is there to question. Are we looked at as a major problem by much of the base of either candidate?
Have read on this site that a person should have a three year supply of reloading components.
As primers and powder can be in shorter supply than shot or wads and I plan to build my inventory by Nov 1.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
D Brown said:
oneounceload said:
Is this reference to a change in the powder supply something that can be linked to a source? I would like to be better informed.

Thank you,
Here is a link.
http://conservative-daily.com/2016/08/3 ... -ammo-ban/

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
oregunner said:
D Brown said:
oneounceload said:

Thank you,
Here is a link.
http://conservative-daily.com/2016/08/3 ... -ammo-ban/
Thank you for the link oregunner. However, I thought I read somewhere that ATF had already rescinded the silly rule on nitrocellulose and this is no longer an issue. I know, hard to believe, but apparently a government agency created a stupid ruling, realized it, and backed off. :D

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
GardenGnome414 said:
Hello Folks, How much of an impact will the upcoming election have on the shotgun sports? I expect there will be a run on non-shotgun related ammo and guns before November causing shortages and some price increases, but what about shotguns and say 12 gauge #8 target shells?
I doubt the result of the upcoming election will have much immediate impact on 12 gauge scatterguns or #8 target shells in other than, possibly, having marketers prey even more upon the self-defense market and that does reallocate interest on what hits the shelves....I do expect more dark, tough-looking sunglasses have been sold in the last few years, for example.
Lead shot deposition on clay fields has been around awhile, ie Lordship, but there might be some more regulations in that area.....depending.
Hard to say....depends a bit upon what one wants to see that supports one's agenda.

I am far more concerned with the mismanagement of the national forests, water quality, negative changes in hunting access re younkers and much more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SuperXOne said:
It could happen that a Democratic victory sets off another buying binge and shortage.

My guess is that to break this supply glut, there would have to be

1. Democratic control of both House and Senate, plus Hillary as President

3. Real prospects of a federal black rifle and long magazine ban.
If #1 happens (all that needs to happen is Clinton get in, as the GOP isn't tough enough to confront her even if they retain control of the House and Senate), #3 certainly will, quickly, which will result in the fulfillment of your first sentence.

SuperXOne said:
Even then, there are millions of unsold ARs in inventory and lots of ammunition has already been stockpiled.
There were piles last time too. That didn't prevent the prices from going through the roof.

SuperXOne said:
And in the event of a done deal AR ban those rifles will be worthless. Selling one would mean betting felony charges and the end of your life as you know it the buyer wasn't an informant or undercover policeman. You'll be able to keep your AR until your state bans it, but you'll not have any market for it, at all.
Yeah, just like drugs. Make them illegal, and nobody sells them. Heroin and cocaine are worthless, with no market for them, cause they are banned. Gotcha.

SuperXOne said:
The truth is there's not been one significant federal gun control action for about 20 years.
And that last major one, the AWB, was signed by another Clinton. If this one gets in, expect it to be much worse. He didn't have nearly the public support for gun control that exists now. She will be pushing an AWB on steroids.

·
Registered
14,136 Posts
If our federal government decides to enforce a ban on scary looking semiautomatic rifles and magazines, it will be just about the first time for the federal government ever. They don't enforce the laws they already made now.

Anybody with a machine mill can easily build an automatic action, it could be simpler than building a semi automatic. Any body with a soldering iron can connect two ten round magazines to make a 20 round magazine.

Guns are simple tools. It ain't rocket surgery to build a firearm. Why do you think the rest of the world is lousy with Kalashkinovs?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.