Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electricians! I've attached a picture of my electrical box and need some help.

Will it be difficult for me to add 220v service? You will notice at the top of the pic I already have a 220v dryer plug wire capped off.

What would the job entail if I wanted to add a 220v outlet in my garage for a Stewart Shotmaker? Really appreciate any and all help!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I can't really tell much from picture but if what you are saying is that the breaker that used to feed a dryer is unused now it will be real simple to run a circuit from that breaker to your shotmaker provided it is large enough amp wise to handle it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but the electricians never installed a breaker for 220v...the 220v cord is capped off at the top of the pic,all the slots are full. I was wondering if it would be as simple as combining a few breakers and installing a 220v breaker in the box, or if additional work would be required.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Look at changing out the bottom 4 15 amp breakers to slim line type breakers like the 5th one from the bottom. Or you could get some like the 6th breaker from the bottom & remove the tab from the breaker switch, this will make it 2 breakers in one unit. This will free up some space. Make sure the 2 pole breaker for the shot maker will mate with both buss bars just like the 100 & 30 amp breaker does.

You can do the same with the top 2 breakers & give you some spares. What amp is the main? Is that 100 amp the feed to the box? Don't want to overload the box.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, and yes, its 100 amp service. Its a long story, but the 220v dryer hookup was a $100.00 option that I didn't want when they built the house, I knew my dryer was going to be gas.

They accidently ran the wiring, but once they found out I didn't pay the option, they filled my electrical box with a bunch of breakers so I couldn't finish the work myself without spending some additional cash....that was 14 years ago, who the heck woulda known about the high price of lead shot back then??? :shock:

A friend of mine purchased a Stewart shotmaker and I went in halves on it with him, didn't think it would be this big of a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That was 36 years of electrical work worded down to a few sentence's. I'd get 2 breakers like the 6th one from the bottom to replace the 3rd & 4th breaker from the bottom, remove the tab from the switch if it comes with them. That will give you 4 services in place of only 2. Get a 2 pole with the rating of the shot maker. Put the 2 pole at the bottom of the panel in place of 1st & 2nd from the bottom, wire it to a plug for the shot maker. Good to go. Oh, were do I send bill for the advice? LOL

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again dovehunter, appreciate the help. Send the bill to Jimshouse (he is the one I went in 50/50 with on the shotmaker) :D If I ever get it to work, i'll send you a bag or two of #8s!

Bob

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Bobshouse said:
Thanks again dovehunter, appreciate the help. Send the bill to Jimshouse (he is the one I went in 50/50 with on the shotmaker) :D If I ever get it to work, i'll send you a bag or two of #8s!

Bob
Oh shoot, the cost of shipping the bag of shot is way more than the bill. How about a hand shake? Just send your hand... the shipping will be cheaper. LOL

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Tell us more about the shot maker. Especially when you get it going.

I'd like to get into making my own as well.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hudlow1 said:

Jim already has it going at his place, me, Im working on it...thanks to dovehunter, I don't feel as far behind as I did 4 days ago...

Jim has made about 75lbs of #8 shot so far. Dropping it into a 50 caliber ammo can sitting inside of a larger pan for overflow. He is using a mixture of antifreeze and liquid dishsoap, makes clean up alot easier.

Everyone out there who reloads should thank Jim and me for bringing down the price of lead. We talked about getting a Stewart shotmaker for the longest and finally ended up with one about when the lead prices peaked. Now when I finish paying the electrician for the work and am ready to pour my own, lead shot should be back down to 18.00 a bag.

So goes it....I need another beer.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Bobshouse said:
hudlow1 said:

Jim already has it going at his place, me, Im working on it...thanks to dovehunter, I don't feel as far behind as I did 4 days ago...

Jim has made about 75lbs of #8 shot so far. Dropping it into a 50 caliber ammo can sitting inside of a larger pan for overflow. He is using a mixture of antifreeze and liquid dishsoap, makes clean up alot easier.

Everyone out there who reloads should thank Jim and me for bringing down the price of lead. We talked about getting a Stewart shotmaker for the longest and finally ended up with one about when the lead prices peaked. Now when I finish paying the electrician for the work and am ready to pour my own, lead shot should be back down to 18.00 a bag.

So goes it....I need another beer.
Is it hard to do??? Whats the initial investment?? I can get my hands on a pretty steady supply of lead from work. Good clean lead.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Bobshouse said:
They accidently ran the wiring, but once they found out I didn't pay the option, they filled my electrical box with a bunch of breakers so I couldn't finish the work myself without spending some additional cash...
Could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that was their motivation.

Those four fat single-pole 15-amp breakers at the bottom may simply have been the only style they had handy that day.

As for the "accident" of running a dryer cable to the box and wire-nutting it off there, it should have been done routinely anyway as part of the installation.

Few homeowners use gas dryers, and if you sell the house the next owner will likely be highly appreciative that he doesn't have to tear into walls or run a surface-mounted cable to the panel in order to use an electric dryer.

You should appreciate it yourself: All you have to do now is connect the two 120v dryer wires to the double-pole breaker you made room for and you're ready to plug your shot maker into the dryer receptacle.

But you'll probably have to change the receptacle, since it's unlikely the shot maker is wired with a dryer plug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL. thanks! now I can finally get onto some good cheap balls.
how much do those shotmakers go by nowadays anyway?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.