Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Your probably not going to find any for a while. The best bet to make them yourself. If you have nothing in the way of reloading components and press you are SOL. You may be able to search gun broker and find some, but expect to pay a premium.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The little Aguilar shells from Mexico work just fine. I have had a bunch hanging around for years and recently shot them in a friends "Best" gun. I think there is another manufacturer, a USA ammo company, making these short shells. They worked at least as good as his custom reloads.

s/f Steve

·
Registered
663 Posts
In 2015 Sherman Bell had his research on long shells in short chambers published in the Double Gun Journal. If I remember correctly, he found no gun damage or threat if pressures were approximately the same regardless the case length. With that in mind it is conceivable that one might use a 2 3/4 inch shell in a 2 1/2 inch chamber if pressures between the two were approximately equal. But, given the state of the marketplace this still might be a problem finding the right 2 3/4 inch ammunition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums there are numerous discussions about this very subject. I don't know the answer, but there are some very knowledgeable and very nice members that give their opinion. Good Luck and Good Shooting, Chris

·
Registered
274 Posts
Long shells in a short chamber = not a good idea. Yes it can be done….but at what cost? I will add this idea into the mix, yes some people have tested it with a noted 500 psi difference. But understand that NO Two guns had the same internal dimensions. Therefore pressures and forces will be different in each gun. I have personal knowledge of a short chambered gun that was fed 2 3/4” hunting loads for most of its life. Excessive wear to the hinge pin surfaces and barrels that were off face is what resulted. In another gun I have experience with happened to be a 2 3/4” chamber was actually under the dimensions in diameter and length. Obviously chamber was reamed with a worn out reamer. Shells were very snug going in, recoil was very sharp and punishing with standard loads. These internal dimensions can cause pressures to spike. Once properly reamed, new chamber and forcing cone was cut, recoil was tolerable.
So don’t take a single test as gospel.
Reloading the 2 1/2” shells is very easy. Tons of info on this site alone.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
In 2015 Sherman Bell had his research on long shells in short chambers published in the Double Gun Journal. If I remember correctly, he found no gun damage or threat if pressures were approximately the same regardless the case length. With that in mind it is conceivable that one might use a 2 3/4 inch shell in a 2 1/2 inch chamber if pressures between the two were approximately equal. But, given the state of the marketplace this still might be a problem finding the right 2 3/4 inch ammunition.
Hopefully, Bell noted the need for barrel evaluation re reaming, etc. common on older guns prior to asserting his findings....pressures do require an accommodating barrel deemed so by a professional in evaluation.
All parts of an equation matter....lot of surfing folks just look for a "you go, guy" level of permission on the Internet...for a very individual question.

Good luck to OP in finding what he wishes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your replys. I think the shortys all are loaded with #4 shot or larger. Not so good for quail etc. I do have a Hornaday 366 loader. I asked Hornaday if it could be modified to load 21/2 inch shells and they said no. I have a feeling their lawyers were responding. Must be way. Any advice?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thanks all for your replys. I think the shortys all are loaded with #4 shot or larger. Not so good for quail etc. I do have a Hornaday 366 loader. I asked Hornaday if it could be modified to load 21/2 inch shells and they said no. I have a feeling their lawyers were responding. Must be way. Any advice?
I don't think you will be shooting big volumes so get you a mec 600jr and order a short kit or make your own and you will be set for life. The Ponsness and Warren you can order longer dies, not sure about Hornaday. I bet if you were handy with a lathe you could make something to work, but a used mec will be cheaper, I think.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The Aguilar shells I have are 12 ga 7 1/2. But I must confess they have to be 10 years + old. I also have them in slugs and buck. I used them for teaching tactical shotgun for the timid and small back in another life. Er...pump only if you're not using a double of some sort.

s/f Steve

·
Registered
274 Posts
If your staying with the Hornady loader there are two options. Roll crimp which would be done by hand, skipping your crimping stations on the press. Or using an over shot card you can run 2 1/2” shells through your crimping stations leaving you a crimped shell with an open center, covered by the over shot card. Forget what that is called and have not tried it yet. Someone will know. This method has merit because there is no need to change the press.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Scroll down about 1/3 here for a summary of “Long Shells in Short Chambers”, Sherman Bell with technical assistance from Tom Armbrust in “Finding Out for Myself” Part V, Double Gun Journal, Winter 2001
The average difference was 700 psi; one load was 1200 psi

Bell
"Shooting 2 3/4” shells in 2 1/2” chambers does make them produce more pressure-but in most cases it is less than a 1000 psi increase. I see no reason, related to safety, to modify an original 2 1/2” chambered gun to shoot 2 3/4” shells, if the 2 3/4” load you intend to use would develop pressure that is safe in that gun, when fired in a standard chamber!”

It should be noted that some nominally 2 3/4" fired hulls are shorter than 2 3/4". Dumpster diving at the gun club might be illustrative.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just had my Granddad's Parker VH, by Del Greco, and he recommended lengthening the chambers as they had length to do so.
He did mention that his father determine that the shorter shells gave proper shot density and the new chambers would improve the standard length density..

There was a "Handloader" magazine for 2020(?), there was a article of making 2-2/1/2 shells from OTC suppliers.. Check it out.

i have a Rem 1894 with short chambers and it was recommended to ream out by P. Bachelder.
I decline as to keeping the chambers as is, but looking to get the short shells, but looking to get some Bi shot loads for early Teal.
I have documentation from the Remington Slaeman catalog the indicates the 1894 were proofed with nitro loads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts