Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I saw this already here but can't find it now and I'm ready to drill out the bar to get about 10 more grains of shot dropped.
Do I find the smallest size bit, numbered or regular size that won't go into the hole and drill all the way through the bar and keep moving up the size until I get close and then stop drilling all the way through and fine tune it with small depth increments from there or even put the reamer to it at that point? I will of course drill from the bottom side up.
Thank you, Sardine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
bladesmith said:
Do as Dave suggest - it's quite easy to do.
I agree just file it out. To get 10 more grains won't take much at all.

A drill bit the next size bigger may take out to much.

I have filed out two bars for my Grabber 15/16 oz and 1-1/16 oz and it was very easy to do.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
You do realize that 10 grains of shot really isn't very many pellets. It's like 1/50th of an ounce.

10 grains of lead 7 1/2's is 8 pellets.
10 grains of #8 is 10.
10 grains of #9 is 13.

You're going to have to work pretty hard at convincing yourself this made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it's not much. In this case it's only about 10 bb's. I'm doing 7/8 bar, #8 shot and the extra bb's top it off so I have a perfect fill to crimp on. I think it's only giving me 375g now instead of the designated 383 and I would like to be closer to 385g.
So, I'll put the rat tail file to it first and see what happens. Thanks again.
And yes, I do know about the UCB. I'm just not fond of them. Can't get 'em to run smooth like the Mec bars do. Have to smack it with palm of my hand to return to the side for another load of shot.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Using 9 shot, going from 375 to 385 will equate to about 14 bb's. Still at even 10 grains won't take much with a file. I suggest as to take out in small increments, and reweigh every time. May take several times to get where you want.

Corrected response.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts