Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i discovered this forum yesterday while searching for this specific question. Seems like tons of info here :) I do however have this one question that i cant seem to find an answer to.

I read online of some people saying they have heard of people using and epoxy such as JB weld to install the mossberg front ghost ring sight on their shotguns. Most people say they have heard of it done, but have not done this themselves.

I guess my question is, has anyone actually done this themselves, and what results were had? I'm just looking around to see what i want.

I ordered a Mossberg SP590 for 356.00 last week from my gun dealer. Its the 50660 mod#..plastic safety, trigger guard, but has the heat shield that i want. They said i dont have to buy the gun if its not what im looking for.

Now considering that i dont need the metal safety and trigger assembly or the heavy barrel. It's just the last gun to round out my collection. It will be shot alot, but not abused or taken to war lol.

Should i buy this gun and later have the Ghost ring sights installed, or wait and buy the model wiht them, and try to install the heat shield myself. Either way, i will be trying to install one or the other to achieve the look i desire.

Thanks, and sorry for a long first post :)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
alan98 said:
Should i buy this gun and later have the Ghost ring sights installed, or wait and buy the model wiht them, and try to install the heat shield myself. Either way, i will be trying to install one or the other to achieve the look i desire.
Welcome to the forum. Since GRS are a more critical install than the heatshield, if I were you, and based on the info you gave, I would buy the 590SP #50663, which has factory GRS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i called my gunsmith and he said he could solder the front sight on for around 15$ guaranteed to never come off. I asked about the finish and he said it wouldnt mess it up. I find this hard to believe though. How bad will it mess up the parkerized finish around the sight?

I'll probably just get the 590 w/heat shield and bead since ive already got it ordered. Maybe i wont even want the GR sights after i shoot it. It would be cheaper to go this route anyways if i can get em put on that cheap.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
alan98 said:
Well i called my gunsmith and he said he could solder the front sight on for around 15$ guaranteed to never come off. I asked about the finish and he said it wouldnt mess it up. I find this hard to believe though. How bad will it mess up the parkerized finish around the sight?
I find it hard to believe too. If he's talking about silver solder, I would be surprised if it doesn't affect the finish. All I've ever seen done use a torch and heat the surfaces pretty hot. I'd get a second opinion.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did the JB weld thing and for me it came down to JB weld was cheaper then finding a gunsmith and worrying about it. Now one thing that did factor in for me was my 500 was a Big 5 special with 2 barrels for 300 bucks. So if I screwed anything up I was not out much. If you are just going for the GRS for a tactical shottie just get the 590 with factory installed GRS.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I used JB and I have several rounds down the tube without problems. However mine is just slightly off center. I glued it right over the factory bead, figuring the bead would give it something to hold onto.

For your situation though, I might be inclined to go with the $15 guy and be ready to cold blue it again when he's done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.