Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28,164 Posts
i3rider said:
Is it CRIO barrel? In the product description they only mention that it is "BE.S.T-treated barrel".
Yes. https://www.benelliusa.com/resources/be ... -treatment

Treating a shotgun barrel in such an environment would ruin the ballistic properties of the barrel and weaken the strength of the barrel extension. Benelli's engineers created a process that completes the process at low temperature, maintaining the perfect ballistics of our Crio-treated barrels and the heat-treated strength of the barrel extension.

·
Registered
13,946 Posts
regular or crio or ___. No difference.

·
Registered
28,164 Posts
i3rider said:
What do you think of this shotgun?
It is an ugly version of the Ethos with a plastic stock, yet still rips you for $2199 MSRP, and no longer handles light loads . . . 1-1/8 oz. recommended minimum. It is outrageously rip-off priced.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RandyWakeman said:
i3rider said:
What do you think of this shotgun?
It is an ugly version of the Ethos with a plastic stock, yet still rips you for $2199 MSRP, and no longer handles light loads . . . 1-1/8 oz. recommended minimum. It is outrageously rip-off priced.
thank you Randy.
Since this is mostly for waterfowl hunt, I'm OK with the look. It is important to me that this shotgun doesn't rust and can stand even salt water for many days as Benelli advertises it.
It has already happened to me at least couple of times to drop my a400 into water and slush.
Rainy weather is also very common here in Canada. And sometime I get home tired and zero desire to dry and clean my shotgun same evening.
Also I would like to go to the East for sea duck hunt eventually.

As for the cycling, someone told me that his M2 and Rafaello Crio 12ga both handle 7/8oz no problem. Worst case scenario, I would probably go for that Wolff recoil spring - it is $15 at Brownells.

p.s. I have just receiver an answer from Benelli USA:
Good afternoon, Thank you for your interest in the Ethos with the BE.S.T. finish. The barrel is Crio treated and does have a Carbon Fiber Rib that is detachable. There is also a kit for the stock that will give you a length of pull of 15".
The only thing that I'm kinda not sure of is that Buttstock stupid design in the plastic models. I saw my buddy when his plastic SuperSport has lost that piece of rubber couple of weeks ago. And that damn thing costs near $100 to buy it new. To his luck we were able to track our path back couple days later then to recover that damn buttstock. Honestly, I can't bear it how stupid they designed that part: no screws, just a piece of rubber and some thin plastic framing which clicks when you plug that part in. That plastic wears with time hence the result - people get it lost eventually.

...So there is still a chance that I can change my mind in favor of the other Ethos, the one with wood and engraving. Just trying to weight all the cons and pros in view of my need.

·
Registered
28,164 Posts
i3rider said:
thank you Randy.
Since this is mostly for waterfowl hunt, I'm OK with the look. It is important to me that this shotgun doesn't rust and can stand even salt water for many days as Benelli advertises it.
It has already happened to me at least couple of times to drop my a400 into water and slush.
Getting shotguns wet is not a new thing. :shock: :shock: :shock:

At that ridiculous price point, you have plenty of camo / Cerakote / PVD / Melonite autos to choose from, all of which are softer shooting and significantly less costly. Savage Renegage / Fabarm XLR5 Waterfowler / Remington Waterfowl Pro / Retay AIR KING 3-1/2 inch, Maxus Wicked Wing, and on and on.

The Benelli Fishtank stunt at the SHOT show was just that: a rookie-level carnival sideshow con-job.

https://www.testlabs.my/update-and-stor ... e-duration

It should be noted that contrary to what many people think or expect, the Salt Spray Test, just like other corrosion tests does not correlate anything. The test for X hours is not an indicator of any number of years that coating will resist corrosion. This is because, in real life situations, rust takes years to occur.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see what you say Randy
I've not yet made my mind up on a particular model.
I do not want those waterfowl shotgun alternatives which you listed. My a400 outclasses them.
There are several reasons I think of Benelli: I tried at least three of them and I liked the results.
I want a reliable inertia shotgun.
Retay? Maybe it is not bad, but I think it is too new a turkish brand. And price is just a bit too much to put a safe bet on such a dark horse. I could probably take a risk and consider a Masai at some under $1000 price point.

As for the rust, just a little note from my own experince:
I've had a sx3 in camo. I remember myself discovering just enough of rust in between choke tube and the barrel inner wall. This was caused by walking through wet bush one morning then took just one day to develop. Yes, I know I need to clean and grease it often enough. But sometime I do not have time.

·
Registered
28,164 Posts
i3rider said:
I see what you say Randy
I've not yet made my mind up on a particular model.
I do not want those waterfowl shotgun alternatives which you listed. My a400 outclasses them.
I'm not up to speed on the Canadian shotgun market in terms of options or availability. Regardless of what you choose, there is no substitute for basic, ordinary maintenance. If you want your equipment to perform for you over time, you need to maintain it. Sure you have the time-- considering the lost time create for yourself if you cannot find a drop of oil before you go hunting.

Hunters from years gone by had no such luxury (meaning PVD / Nitride / Cerakote / plastic stocks) but they still managed.

i3rider said:
Let's put it straight boys
I own an a400 Xtreme Unico for more that 3yrs. My observation is that OptimaHP design is poor engineering - someone of Beretta team needs to go back to a university to learn the "Resistance of materials" subject. I keep my guns clean as often as I feel I need to. It is army habit. I never do more that 300...400 shots without cleaning my gun. The rifles are to be cleaned after 50...100 shots. For the shot guns I take the choke(s) out every cleaning, clean the threads both inside barrel and on the choke, put a little but of thermal resistant grease on it then screw the choke(s) in back.
I'm not quite buying the "I don't have time" theory.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, good eye :) I remember that my write up.
So far I haven't seen a shotgun without flaws. The a400 problems: OptimaHP (details mentioned earlier), easy to scratch camo, somewhat front heavy (probably like any other gas operated shotgun which having recoil spring at front), sometime can FTF on 3.5" shots (I'm probably just less lucky here. Because most of folks do not see this problem).
Still, I can live with those cons, because this Beretta a400 works well when I exclude 3.5 shots. Here is why I think it outclasses most of the other waterfowl shotguns:
- steelium (no rust ever),
- the easiest to disassemble and clean among the gas operated,
- rotating bolt head,
- the bolt handle is impossible to get lost,
- 1/4 turn locking cap - real cool design,
- Kick-off recoil absorber,
- another kick-off - couple more absorber springs under the buttpad
All of these features are not nonsense, they actually work and help. And this all together is light years forward of any other gas operated competitors. Tell me where am I wrong and why?
I do not want to sell the a400 at least as of now. BUT, I've made a mistake... I tried Benelli and liked it. :) Now I want to have one in 12ga :) possibly one of the best among Benelli semi-autos which would be fitting the bill for my special need for hunting in harsh conditions.
Reasons why I look at Ethos:
- inertia action stays clean much longer
- on disassembly it exposes receiver internals, trigger assembly, etc, which makes even easier to clean and lubricate
- CRIO - I still want it.
I learned some mechanics and "resistance of materials" topic while graduating, so that -300C barrel treatment process makes sense and looks attractive to me
- the detachable barrel rib - nice to have. I'm not 100% sure if I benefit it when I will be fitting the shotgun. I think I like the elevated rib, so it is possible...
I think Benelli Legacy might work too, but not 100% sure.

Also, the sx3 has taught me that sometime it is bad to cut budget. I've lost $400 by selling that shotgun, but actually it was a relief.

To clean the gun after 300..400 shots - yes. I do proper cleaning and care as often as I can. Not too paranoid though. But again, sometime I do not have time. Let's say I get home Sunday evening after a wet day of hunting, tired, etc... then next day I need to work, then in the evening I have some other things to do, I have family, kids to take care of.. Finally I forget and then in a week or two I pull the shotgun out and "Omg, last time it was in the wet and I didn't dry and clean it!..". So, given this what you've quoted does not contradicts what I say here. a400 steelium forgives me the wet abuse and late cleaning. But again, I do not feel like I like this shotgun and enjoy it at full. I just want another gun to try to like it.

·
Registered
28,164 Posts
i3rider said:
So, given this what you've quoted does not contradicts what I say here. a400 steelium forgives me the wet abuse and late cleaning. But again, I do not feel like I like this shotgun and enjoy it at full. I just want another gun to try to like it.
Where would you get the idea that "Steelium" is anything more than a slogan for chrome moly steel?

A rotating bolt is "a" locking method, but it dates back to the 1800s and hardly is anything new or special: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_bolt .

There isn't a 'correct' choice, there are just the better choices for an individual.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RandyWakeman said:
i3rider said:
So, given this what you've quoted does not contradicts what I say here. a400 steelium forgives me the wet abuse and late cleaning. But again, I do not feel like I like this shotgun and enjoy it at full. I just want another gun to try to like it.
Where would you the idea that "Steelium" is anything more than a slogan for chrome moly steel?
I do not need to know the recipe of that steel. I do not care whatever marketing name it is. All what matters for me that it works. It does NOT rust - this is tested.

A rotating bolt is "a" locking method, but it dates back to the 1800s and hardly is anything new or special: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_bolt .
good to know. I do not tell it is new or special. But it works somewhat better than that simple action of a390 or likes.
RandyWakeman said:
There isn't a 'correct' choice, there are just the better choices for an individual.
agree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.