Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very very new to the sport of trap and skeet and I would like some tips on how not to make a total *** of my self.
Anyone have some pet peeves or annoyances they may want to share? Not necessarily stuff that newbies do but things even regulars might do that distrupt and annoy other shooters.

I do intend on hanging back for a while observing and watching what others do.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,509 Posts
For sporting clays:

When you're the next shooter up, stand directly behind the shooting stand with your gun in hand, chokes in the gun and be ready to go.

Watch other peoples pairs, so you don't have to "see a pair" when you get there.

Load and unload your gun ONLY in the shooting stand.

When you're finished shooting your pairs, DON'T "ask to see another pair"

·
Registered
354 Posts
Be prepared. There's nothing worse than waiting for someone to get their act together when everyone else is on squad. I'm talking about a full five minutes while (someone who should know better) is wandering off to get different shells, playing with their chokes, and generally going out of their way to be a PIA. People don't mind waiting for new guys to come up to speed; they do mind waiting for someone who's been doing it for years.

Remember, mostly it's a gentlemen's game. Make sure the squad is ready before calling for the bird, especially for things like "Annie Oakley" games where there may be more than one shooter.

Pick up your hulls. Please don't launch them at my face. :)

-- Sam

·
Registered
354 Posts
ATAShooter said:
PLEASE...turn off your cell phone when on the firing line....
Oh, man. If one rang at my range we'd suddenly have a new target.

-- Sam

G

·
I think a lot has to do with what level of competition your dealing with. At a "fun shoot" people are more relaxed and willing to accept things more so than at a registered or big shoot. Lots of trap and skeet shooters concerned with their registered targets for their average as well as to win. This will be a more serious crowd that will not accept breeches in etiquette. Sporting clays is a bit more relaxed but you should still try to be a considerate of the other shooters as you can be. I could come up with about 8 topics to be aware of:

1) Safety first ! Obey all safety regulations. Keep your gun open and unloaded unless shooting. Be aware of your barrel at all times.
2) Be ready to shoot when it is your turn. Choke tubes in and shells in your pockets. Be on your field and ready to shoot with your squad on time.
3) If your not shooting keep your voice down and the cell phone off. Trap shooters do not normally accept casual talk on the line. Skeet and Clays shooter are more tolerant of conversation by other shooters. Just keep it low and not distracting.
4) Keep childish acts at home. I have seen guys curse, throw shells and guns after doing poorly. Grow up or stay home.
5) On sporting clays only the first shooter in the squad can request to see a pair before shooting. All other should be watching the shooter before them to view the targets.
6) Pay attention. Know when it is your turn to shoot. On a trap squad you will see guys get lost in thought and not know it is their turn to shoot. Trap squads like to shoot in a rhythm. The rhythm does help when your shooting well, but don't let the other shooters pressure you to shoot too fast. Take your time, but hurry up!
7) Be aware of the rules. There are specific regulations for all the shotgun disciplines on when and how to dispute a judges call, dealing with gun and shell malfunctions, fast/ slow pulls, broken targets.
8) Be tolerant of new shooters. Teach them and encourage them. We can not afford to create snobbish atmosphere in the shooting sports. Correct them if they are doing something wrong but do it constructively.

Have fun and shoot safely.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
520 Posts
OOPS !!! Forgot to log in the first time !

I think a lot has to do with what level of competition your dealing with. At a "fun shoot" people are more relaxed and willing to accept things more so than at a registered or big shoot. Lots of trap and skeet shooters concerned with their registered targets for their average as well as to win. This will be a more serious crowd that will not accept breeches in etiquette. Sporting clays is a bit more relaxed but you should still try to be a considerate of the other shooters as you can be. I could come up with about 8 topics to be aware of:

1: Safety first ! Obey all safety regulations. Keep your gun open and unloaded unless shooting. Be aware of your barrel at all times.
2: Be ready to shoot when it is your turn. Choke tubes in and shells in your pockets. Be on your field and ready to shoot with your squad on time.
3: If your not shooting keep your voice down and the cell phone off. Trap shooters do not normally accept casual talk on the line. Skeet and Clays shooter are more tolerant of conversation by other shooters. Just keep it low and not distracting.
4: Keep childish acts at home. I have seen guys curse, throw shells and guns after doing poorly. Grow up or stay home.
5: On sporting clays only the first shooter in the squad can request to see a pair before shooting. All other should be watching the shooter before them to view the targets.
6: Pay attention. Know when it is your turn to shoot. On a trap squad you will see guys get lost in thought and not know it is their turn to shoot. Trap squads like to shoot in a rhythm. The rhythm does help when your shooting well, but don't let the other shooters pressure you to shoot too fast. Take your time, but hurry up!
7: Be aware of the rules. There are specific regulations for all the shotgun disciplines on when and how to dispute a judges call, dealing with gun and shell malfunctions, fast/ slow pulls, broken targets.
8: Be tolerant of new shooters. Teach them and encourage them. We can not afford to create snobbish atmosphere in the shooting sports. Correct them if they are doing something wrong but do it constructively.

Have fun and shoot safely.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Apexduck: That was a well thought out post...quite excellent.

Here are some of the things that I experience that bother me.

It does bother me to have a semi-auto spin off the station pointing that gun at my knee caps, in a cavalier attitude that the gun is empty.

My second peeve is that gun clubs don't have training programs to take a new shooter through the course to show them what is what. Just the basics.

G

·
#1. Absolutely turn off those darn cell phones, even if you are not on the line yourself. It is very distracting if a cell phone goes off just after you have called pull.

#2. If you are shooting trap and are using an auto-loader, then by gosh show some courtesy and use a shell deflector. Most shooters get very irritated when ejected shells bounce off the side of their head or their shotgun.

#3. Be friendly, don't brag, and practice every day common courtesy.

G

·
I had a fewllow tell me he was a new shooter so I shot with him. He loaded his gun put it to his shoulder and waited until it was his turn. I went to mention to him that he should follow others examples and he left the line. I was really very friendly about it but his comment was that he learned something every time he came out. At thta rate he'll still be a newbie five years from now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
#1 SAFETY-SAFETY-SAFETY :)

When Shooting a Sporting Clays course,
if you finish your station and move to the next
and the squad ahead of yours is still shooting,
don't pull up right behind them. :evil:
It's like in golf when someone else is on the
tee box ahead of your group your suppose to
hang back and give them the opportunity to
finish with out any disruptions.

Turn off cell phones or put them on vibrate
and if your up and yours rings/vibrates
don't answer the thing. :oops:

When the 1st person in your group is up
and calls for a "looking pair"
pay attention!
The trappers are not suppose to throw
more than 1 pair for your group to look at. :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
At least for trap, don't share guns. Probably can't do it at a meet anyway, but I've seen some guys share a gun with 3 other people sharing the range with them. This was only during practice, but personally, if you only have 1 gun, then the 2 guys alternate rounds rather than trying to shuttle back and forth.

I guess it's not an issue in meets, and sometimes the rangemaster won't let it happen anyway, but just in case - don't do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts