Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, that has happened once to me - didn't really break the bird but knocked it off line.

The question I have is when you miss 'in front' of station 3, 4 & 5 where you are actually a bit surprised the wad did not hit the bird it at least appeard to pass so close I presume I have actually shot in front of the bird (the wad with its wings decelerates much faster than the heavy shot, so if the wad appears to come very close to the bird the clump of shot is already past?), so how far past is the shot clump and how far ahead of the bird was I when I shot? How far in feet of lead was I off with my shot?

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
hotcha said:
Ever break a bird with the wad?
Kinda.

Not what you had in mind, I know, but this one absolutely annihilated a high 5 with the wad, the shot, and most of the hull in one neat little package.

The target disappeared like a well centered low 8.

It was a break like you'd never see from station 5 with the .410, and rarely even with a 12 gauge.

Nothin' but net. Dead nuts perfect.

Even before I opened the gun, the guy behind me said "What the hell was THAT??!!" :shock:

But I knew :mrgreen: ...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
No, but I did see it happen once. Back in 2001 when I was shooting with another person at the skeet club. We were shooting low 7 and the bird came out on it's usual flight path and the shooter pulled the trigger somewhat early and you could see the wad take an irregular flight and crash into the bird breaking it. Not a great break but it did come apart in a few chunks. Dead target. :eek: That was the only time though. I believe he was shooting a 12 ga.

Bryan

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Maybe the wad could get you a low 8 or high 7, but in most cases the wad lags waaaay behind. Occasionally a lost target gets scored dead when the wad is mistaken for a visible piece. Different wads react differently. My .410 wads rarely make it 25 feet, yet the 28's seem to go forever.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
ShootingStar said:
Maybe the wad could get you a low 8 or high 7, but in most cases the wad lags waaaay behind. Occasionally a lost target gets scored dead when the wad is mistaken for a visible piece. Different wads react differently. My .410 wads rarely make it 25 feet, yet the 28's seem to go forever.
I agree wad breaks are pretty uncommon, when I saw it I could hardly believe what had just happened. I also agree that wads are sometimes mistaken for a piece of the bird but I have found that to be more common on sporting clays courses where they tend to hire more inexperienced people as refs.(It is not only the inexperience but with the lighting and obstacles in a SC course it makes the job even harder) I have also seen many targets get broken that the score keeper has called lost but a piece has come off of he bird.

Bryan

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I'd say the odds against a wad breaking a clay target on any station would be astronomical, and that anytime someone claimed to have seen it happen would be highly suspect and probably more the result of an optical illusion -- or mental delusion.

The only way to substantiate such an event beyond a healthy chunk of doubt would be to capture it with a high-speed camera in slow motion.

BTW: None of that applies to ShootingStar's .410 loads. There's a rumor going around that some pellets from one of those, and possibly a piece of hull, are still embedded in a passing comet somewhere in the solar system.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts

Case said:
BTW: None of that applies to ShootingStar's .410 loads. There's a rumor going around that some pellets from one of those, and possibly a piece of hull, are still embedded in a passing comet somewhere in the solar system.
.410's so fast, you gotta shoot a little BEHIND 'em. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
649 Posts
ShootingStar wrote:
"Occasionally a lost target gets scored dead when the wad is mistaken for a visible piece."

This is why I spray-paint all my wads orange! :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I've seen it twice on sporting courses, and luckily everyone was watching. On both the target was a dying crosser from about 30 and 25 yards, the most memorable was an early Winter day and almost dusk, shooting off a dock and the target fairly high--perfect scenario for watching the shot going to the target---wad broke it in several pieces and there was no doubt----it was only the wad, kinda a slow motion thing-----dead pair!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive seen a wad hit a clay, but not break it. They guy I was playing skeet with had a .410, we were at the first station and he shot to far in front of it, yet we saw the wad hit the clay on to top part of the disk and bounce up. no break tho :roll:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Last Saturday, introducing my niece to skeet at L7. I was pulling, my son was watching. I saw it, couldn't believe what I saw, so I remained silent. My son asked if that wad hit just that clay... I guess my eyes weren't fooling me this time...

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
You guys actually put shot in your shells? That's like cheating. I only use the wad to break birds.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Case said:
I'd say the odds against a wad breaking a clay target on any station would be astronomical, and that anytime someone claimed to have seen it happen would be highly suspect and probably more the result of an optical illusion -- or mental delusion.

The only way to substantiate such an event beyond a healthy chunk of doubt would be to capture it with a high-speed camera in slow motion.
CASE are you calling me a liar ? ? ? :twisted: :evil:
I agree the odds are astronomical but it DID happen. :shock: It was the strangest looking thing. :shock: Like I said, I could hardly believe it. :shock: I wish I had a camera at the time but the only thing I had was my 12 ga. The bird did break into several large chunks and it was not what I would call a hard break. I t was at low 7 on the field. The shooter was shooting a single. It was a windy day the wad seperated from the shot early as the shooter shot too soon overtop the bird. The wind took the wad and it had an odd flight path and it crashed right into the bird and it broke. That is the story, true and honest. No delusions here. Will probably never ever see it again in my life.

Bryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts