Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave up hunting about 7 years ago. Nobody in my family would eat game and I couldn't find anybody who would take the meat. Don't shoot for wall-hangers and don't want to just leave the meat rot. Heck, when I quit, I had meat in the freeser three seasons old. Now... I wake up early, still, and really feel like I should be in the woods - especially this time of year.

Anybody got a cure? :?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Yes, take up hunting again. There are several organizations that will connect hunter's harvests with the needy. Usually even homeless shelters and soup kitchens will accept the meat.

Three purposes are served by doing this, you can fill a void, the hungry get to eat, and a positive image of hunters is presented.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MarS I wish it were that easy. I've contacted a dozen organizations, Gov & NGO, here in MI. Nobody's interested. Back in PA (where you can and NEED to shoot as many as 7 deer) nobody was interested, either. :(

·
Registered
558 Posts
MerlandS plan sounds like a winner, but if that doesn't work did you ever think of taking up photography. You should be able to get some very nice trophys without getting your hands dirty, get some meat for your freezer and then let the rest walk away and only take memories. I like to bring along a camera during pre-season scouts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should just go out, and only kill what you think you can eat.

Maybe a bbq with the boys. Have some deer burgers. Make some sausages. Watch some football.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've heard of a few hunters that have put down their guns and picked up cameras. You still have to stalk and plan to get that perfect shot, but you don't have to clean anything.

If its nature you desire, you might consider it. If it's bringing down the big beast, go back to hunting.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Ah, I see Swamp Yankee made the same suggestion.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Leads! I'll contact these orgs and see what they have tosay. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Paul F. said:
MarS I wish it were that easy. I've contacted a dozen organizations, Gov & NGO, here in MI. Nobody's interested. Back in PA (where you can and NEED to shoot as many as 7 deer) nobody was interested, either. :(
go hunting, get yourself a deer, have a BBQ, and invite all your friends over. down here, if one of us says "i'm grillin', and i've got a fridge full of beer!", 20-30 people will show up. that meat'll be gone in no time.

...or Christmas is coming up soon. if there's a military base nearby, there's usually a program where you can invite soldiers who don't have anywhere to go over on holidays such as thanksgiving and Christmas for a nice dinner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is a possible suggestion for you.

I have also heard of several people making the venison into jerky and sending it over seas to the troops.

I am not a hunter so I do not know how much work or expense is involved in this but if it would be possible for you to do you can go to various unit web pages and find out where to send it.

Please note you can not ship items containing pork to Iraq or Afghanistan so that would eliminate wild boar or feral pig.

Just a suggestion. If I can help you locate a unit let me know on this post or by PM.

Regardless of what you decide to do I hope you find something to meet your needs.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Take up Quail hunting, it'll get you hunting,you'll need a good dog, which gives you another friend,and you won't be overrun with meat that doesn't get eaten.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Squirrels are pests. Do something about them in your neighborhood. I recomend a .22 rifle.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Paul-

I'd check around (DNR, BSA, Make-A-Wish, youth homes) for some kind of youth program.

Maybe there's a mentoring program of sorts for hunting in MI?

This would get you out and possibly allow some kid(s) an opportunity they might not otherwise have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the news last week there was a story of a VFW post in west michigan making jerky for the troops overseas and I think they were accepting donations of deer for their effort.. Also Sportsmen against hunger is a good bet ive taken a few deer to them in the past

·
Registered
288 Posts
Might i suggest hunting something smaller, although its not big game you could go for rabbit/squirril/doves ect, those will allow you to take a bunch of shots, enjoy the hunt and not be over burdened trying to get rid of meat, since you can eat them all up yourself in a timely manner :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts