Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants to start shooting clays with me next season. Trap once/week... along with occasional round of 5-stand or other. I already have an SX2 Sporting that I use. She's been using a Mossberg 930 that I use for Waterfowl which is a soft shooter but to me it's a bit clunky for clays.

I'm looking for another gun for her to shoot, and I see some good prices on the Ladies Gold Sporting.. but I cant accept that it only shoots 2-3/4". So, she picks up an Evolve off the rack & says she really likes it. It's light & has a 26" barrel. When I shoulder it I immediately think "grouse & pheasant gun". $800. And, Browning still has the 100$ rebate so it's very tempting.

Can I add weight to the gun to reduce the kick if it turns out to be too much kick for her? Most times she will be shooting a round of Trap. There will be days where she'll shoot a round of trap & a round of 5-stand. I'll also be using it on grouse & pheasant. Am I going in the wrong direction with this? Should I get her a dedicated clays gun?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
DWING said:
Can I add weight to the gun to reduce the kick if it turns out to be too much kick for her? Most times she will be shooting a round of Trap. There will be days where she'll shoot a round of trap & a round of 5-stand. I'll also be using it on grouse & pheasant. Am I going in the wrong direction with this? Should I get her a dedicated clays gun?
Seriously the gold line is pretty moderate on recoil. But if the weight is too light it is alway easier to add and can be done easily enough. I like the field Evolve and hope to buy one sooner than later. It has a sporting twin. A gold receiver treatment, a couple more chokes and porting, but it is the same weight. I'd skip that for a cleaner look and a little more versital with the 3" chamber. She likes it and the gun is a really good model. I think your on the right track.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with 01lariat on this one. If you don't want to go with the Gold Sporting Clays route, the Evolve is a nice gun. I personally wasn't a fan of the different forestock, but if it fits you and your wife that's awesome. Still a great gun to own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts