Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:
I've heard a catalogue of excuses for missing clays over the years, so I thought a new topic would be amusing!!

I'll start it off with a couple which amused me: :lol:

"With the rain on my glasses, I could see 10 clays, and I shot at the wrong one!" :roll:

"Just as I was about to pull the trigger, I thought it was a sparrow, so I purposely missed it!" :shock:

Ensign:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ensign said:
Hi Guys:
I've heard a catalogue of excuses for missing clays over the years, so I thought a new topic would be amusing!!

I'll start it off with a couple which amused me: :lol:

"With the rain on my glasses, I could see 10 clays, and I shot at the wrong one!" :roll:

"Just as I was about to pull the trigger, I thought it was a sparrow, so I purposely missed it!" :shock:

Ensign:
I thought you were fishing for unreasonable excuses :lol: .

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was shooting L8 in skeet. I called "pull" and large chunk of a clay from the adjacent field flew right over the low house with perfect timing. I shot at the wrong one. I guess me and the other shooters did get a slight laugh out of it. The good news is my form looked good even if I was shooting at the wrong target.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Shooting in a tournament on a hot day I remember thinking wow look at the heat waves coming from my barrels, just before I called for the bird! Yep, lost pair!

Did you see that butterfly, dragon fly, whatever that flew between me and the target?

At a shoot once I ducked, or thought I ducked, a large bug that flew at me as I rode in the golfcart out to the first stand. While shooting the first stand I get angry as I thought someone was tapping me on the shoulder. On the second stand I realized it was a bug in my shirt, it had gone down inside the neck, so I swatted it, yep, splat! yuck. While on the third stand, (same round) I had forgotten to turn off my blackberry and I got a call from the wife. Needless to say I was not in contention that day!

The wind is always a good excuse. I have seen it do wierd things with a target but the weirdest was a high crosser that stopped dead in the air just before my breakpoint. I stood there thinking; if I shoot in front it will be in front, if I shoot at it now it will drop so I tried to shoot it as it fell. The whole squad behind me was laughing with me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'll typically blame the rotation of the earth, solar flare activity, sunspots, lunar tides and so on.

I'll also use "Wow! I suck worse than usual today."

Or, "I thought I was going to flinch, but didn't."

An actual one which was kind of funny...

I had just switched from prescription shooting glasses to a pair of toric contact lenses and a pair of vermillion wrap-around shooting glasses. As my field of vision was greatly enhanced and my eyesight was corrected to 20/15, I could pick out every detail of the first clay of the day.

In fact, I spent so long marveling at my ability to see the rings and really focus that I completely forgot to move the gun until the target was out of sight in the trees.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
There's always the mundane stuff, like "The sun was in my eyes" or "The wind caught it just as I shot".

One of my shooting buddies topped them all a few years ago..... he missed the single on low 7, and without missing a beat, turned to the rest of us and said, "I have issues.... my mother never breast-fed me."

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
wwb said:
One of my shooting buddies topped them all a few years ago..... he missed the single on low 7, and without missing a beat, turned to the rest of us and said, "I have issues.... my mother never breast-fed me."
That's the best one I've ever heard.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wwb said:
Bugger!! Can't use that one, as I distinctly remember sharing one of my mothers breasts with someone who smoked Marlborough. :shock:
Still, got weened off before I turned 12! :roll:
Ensign:

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
MRPOWER said:
wwb said:
That's the best one I've ever heard.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ME 2 :wink:
LMFAO

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I quite like "Well it's a cold windy day and my eyes are watering so I'm seeing double and obviously I shot at the wrong one"

1 - 20 of 47 Posts