Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
folks 3 part question

1. how accurate r the factory extended chokes that come with the gun, meaning IC actually being IC (.010)and Mod actually being Mod (.020),etc....

2. how accurate r the after market extended chokes(briley, tru-choke,etc..), with all the different choices out now a days.

3. is there a review out there that has tested the different chokes out there and ther accuracy?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
gilbo said:
folks 3 part question

1. how accurate r the factory extended chokes that come with the gun, meaning IC actually being IC (.010)and Mod actually being Mod (.020),etc....

2. how accurate r the after market extended chokes(briley, tru-choke,etc..), with all the different choices out now a days.

3. is there a review out there that has tested the different chokes out there and ther accuracy?
1. Usually pretty close to what it says it is.

2. See number 1.

3. Don't know, probably is, theres usually one in every magazine you pick up.

·
Registered
637 Posts
After market chokes are a lot more accurately made than the bores of shotguns.

My Briley and Trulock chokes measure what they are supposed to with less than 0.001" variance. For Beretta Optima chokes they both consider 0.733" to be the nominal bore diameter and they start constricting from there. For example, a skeet choke with 0.005" constriction would measure 0.728". An IC measures 0.723" etc.

However, the bores of several Beretta Optima shotguns I have measured go from 0.730" to 0.733", sometimes with differences between top and bottom barrels. It's not much though.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
gilbo:
Only recently have the shotgun makers supplied extended chokes with their target shotguns. That reduced some of the market for aftermarket chokes. I think that in the modern production environment the gun makers do a good job, but the aftermarket choke makers do a better job and that is why they stay in business.

I have found mismarked chokes from both. One was from a well known maker that was marked skeet and it had .028" constriction. You should trust the aftermarket makers, but verify with a micrometer and on paper with your loads so you have no doubts regarding the chokes.

One shotgun maker generally supplied chokes that were 2-4 thousandths more open. I am not sure if this is still true.

Trust, but verify!

·
Banned
473 Posts
Every one I ever saw was right on according to my bore mic. There are no miracle tubes. They really only serve one major purpose for me - ease of use. They are easier to change because I don't need a wrench and most are well marked for my older eyes. IMO, the patterns are not remarkably better than factory chokes. The only problems I ever saw were with Rhino chokes and that was a thread problem related to poor quality control, followed by a poor attitude. Can't go wrong with Briley, Seminole, Trulock or some others. Remember, there are no miracle chokes.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hardnose: I have to laugh at times. There are 2 guys at my club that seem to have a new choke every week or 2. I have listened to them talking at "Station 9" and their ramblings about that brand or this brand being so much better and how much better their scores were with that brand. I have yet to see them at the pattern board actually testing the chokes to really see what the chokes so. I guess they are on a quest for that "miracle choke" you said didn't exist.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Ruger is so correct. The measurements are not that important. The pattern board tells it all. Period!

There is no choke that will make you a better shot. Only coaching and practice will do that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
But keep one thing in mind, you will see a change with different chokes at .003 difference. Meaning you use the same barrel and same choke maker--you go from .670 choke to .673, then .676 ,etc. What ever size you choose to go with .. But the pattern will change from one choke to the next at .003 difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.