Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone worked with this load and a crono? I would like to be about 1200 actual speed. Pressure is not an issue at the levels, and I shoot a break open gun.

Alliant loading data shows the following in 12 ga AA-HS 3/4 oz:
CB0175-12
15.5 grains
Rem209
1200 FPS, 8300 psi

ClayBuster's Data
CB0175-12
14.5 grains
Rem 209
1225 FPS, 6900 psi
(15.5 grains would be between 1260 & 1300)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Different test setups will result in different data. My suggestion is to load up a box of each and shoot a round. If it doesn't seem to make a difference, go with the lower charge to save money. If you want to "be sure" in cold weather, load up the hotter rounds. I'll bet you won't be able to tell the difference. You certainly are way below the max with respect to pressures.

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
I go with 15.5 gr because it seems to be just enough to cycle my auto loaders. Anything less results in jams. If you are shooting a pump or break open gun, then it doesn't matter.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Reactions: Anthony777

·
Registered
25,065 Posts
I have never had a listed velocity actually reach their number; most are usually lower by 1-200 fps. I am using Titewad for 3/4 and needed to bump their load by 1 grain which meant using a MEC bushing 4 number larger than their chart shows. Mine chrono at 1210

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Lexusclays said:
Anyone worked with this load and a crono? I would like to be about 1200 actual speed. Pressure is not an issue at the levels, and I shoot a break open gun.

Alliant loading data shows the following in 12 ga AA-HS 3/4 oz:
CB0175-12
15.5 grains
Rem209
1200 FPS, 8300 psi

ClayBuster's Data
CB0175-12
14.5 grains
Rem 209
1225 FPS, 6900 psi
(15.5 grains would be between 1260 & 1300)
Part of the difference could be components since it looks like you might have miss-typed the CB data which according to my sheet included with the CB0175-12 wads uses a Win 209 primer in WinAA-HS hulls whereas your listing says Rem 209.

I shoot 3/4oz loads with 15gn Extralite out of Rem Gunclubs with the CB0175-12 wads and Fio 616 primers but have never chrono'd them. They work great and cycle my 391 perfectly. CB says my velocity should be 1250fps but who knows. I am not concerned because the pressure is low and they break targets beautifully.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Alliant's online data is 15 & 16gr with 1250 & 1300 fps with Win hull and Win primer.

You have a Win hull with a Rem primer.

Alliant typically pairs hull and primer mfg. That's one reason I tend to prefer Hodgdon.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Jager1 said:
Alliant typically pairs hull and primer mfg. That's one reason I tend to prefer Hodgdon.
While that's been a pet-peeve by many people for a long time, that's not really a good reason to prefer a Hodgdon alternative, - especially for ExtraLite (where there's no real Hodgdon equivalent in my view). T.W. is != ExtraLite.

Maybe for 3/4 oz (in ExtraLite) they only have data for OEM primer/hull pairs, but if you look, for the other payloads (7/8th's oz and 1-oz), they have data for the other primers, including Euro primers.

·
Registered
25,065 Posts
Jager1 said:
Alliant's online data is 15 & 16gr with 1250 & 1300 fps with Win hull and Win primer.

And those speeds are incorrect. Closer to 17 will get you closer to 1250

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
oneounceload said:
Jager1 said:

And those speeds are incorrect. Closer to 17 will get you closer to 1250
But what about Rep's data?? - his 3/4oz chrono test shows that 15.8gn Extralite gets you 1320fps..... So maybe 15gn Extralite really does produce 1250fps? Rep's data makes it look like 17gn would push 3/4oz really fast.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Republican said:
Jager1 said:
While that's been a pet-peeve by many people for a long time, that's not really a good reason to prefer a Hodgdon alternative, - especially for ExtraLite (where there's no real Hodgdon equivalent in my view). T.W. is != ExtraLite.

Maybe for 3/4 oz (in ExtraLite) they only have data for OEM primer/hull pairs, but if you look, for the other payloads (7/8th's oz and 1-oz), they have data for the other primers, including Euro primers.
Across the board, Hodgdon has more data with more variables covered, by a substantial margin. I shoot both mfg's, I don't really care which one gives me what I need, but more often Hodgdon does.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, and sorry for my typo on the primers. Both publications we're Win 209's. Thank you for picking this up. Republican, based on your testing data I'm leaning more toward the CB data.

I'm going to load out close to the clay busters data, and see if I can't get 14.2 or 14.3.

I really like Titewad in this load, good spread and my patterns are wonderful. I'll update with the Extralite pattern experience when I can.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am running 16.5 extra light and 3/4 oz #8 SHOT along with a claybuster wad and AA hulls, rio primers.
I roll crimp and one usually has to increase the load by 1/2 grain to the published results. On my chrono I am getting 1325 to 1350 with this load. Works the A300 like a dream and will bust clays all day.

My $0.02 worth

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Jager1 said:
Across the board, Hodgdon has more data with more variables covered, by a substantial margin. I shoot both mfg's, I don't really care which one gives me what I need, but more often Hodgdon does.
I understand what yer saying, really, I do ...

But...

I used to feel the exact same way when I was doing the Hodgdon thing too.

A "plethora" of reloading data, and component combinations used to make me feel good and give me the warm-n-fuzzies, and more times than not swayed me towards the Hodgdon side, - I'll be the first to admit that.

But that was then, and this is now. My Maxam endeavors changed my views and realization on all of that now.

I'm basically operating in a "no data" mode, and I found out that the amount of published data doesn't do beans to satisfy my needs, nor speak to the quality of the powder, or the quality of the assembled load with said published component combinations. The Maxam CSB powders have taught me that. True diamonds in the rough those powders are.

Simply put, what good does having all that data really do you anyhow? Face it, it's not difficult to know what component combinations not to use to not exceed SAAMI limits if you have at least one published/tested combination.

Alliant hit the mark with ExtraLite performance wise, and not having all of the different primers and wads published doesn't do it (or Alliant) a disservice in the least bit.

And Maxam, with their CSB-5 with "no" American hull data turned out to be the best damn 1-oz powder I've ever used, bar none. Data and performance (and hence value) are definitely not related.

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
If your loads are for skeet, then you don't need that high velocity. 1150 to 1200 fps in that 3/4 oz load makes a wonderful skeet load and patterns beautifully. On the other hand if you aren't shooting skeet, then maybe? Bunker Trap loads are 24 gram @ 1300 fps. Is that what you're shooting?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I shoot skeet, or should I say I try and shoot skeet. I started a little over a year ago, but trust me. I still have much to learn.

I shot this weekend with the Alliant data, they are noticeably faster than 1200. This week I'll back them down into the 14 grain range, and try again this weekend.

·
Administrator
23,473 Posts
Stargazer, you should have started a new post so you don't get 7 year old information, even if the information is reliable !!!!!!
And why exactly is that better than adding to the old thread and bringing it forward?
Not fussing just curious to hear a good logical answer other than the fact that it is an old thread.
Old books still read very well don't they?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts