Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cross eye dominant but have trained my eyes and shooting form to compensate with it. I have tried switching and worked with several pros and they said I was shooting high enough percentages that it would not help to switch. With that being said I have noticed that when I am on dove hunts and things start getting hot and the shooting is nonstop I start missing more later in the hunt usually after shooting around 10-12 birds. I think it is from my non dominant eye getting tired of being used so much and my dominant one takes over and causes me to miss. Are there any exercises I can do to practice for these type of situations? Eye exercises? Gun exercises?

·
Registered
403 Posts
c.j. I am right handed and left eye dominant and have tried a lot of things probably like you have. I've ended up just closing my left eye to shoot; both clay bird games and hunting too.

I tried shooting left handed with both eyes open, and that worked pretty well but not any better than shooting right handed with my left eye shut.

Anyway, I have no idea what you might be experiencing other than if you are like me (I'll be 70 years old next month) I just get tired while shooting doves whether I'm shooting or just standing or sitting waiting for birds.

Have you had your eyes checked lately by an ophthalmologist? If your feeling tiredness, weakness, or you begin to not focus well after shooting a while, it could be you need correction or a change in your lenses; or could be some other eye problem that needs addressing.

When I shoot skeet or trap, I'm good for about four rounds in hot weather, and then I'm done.

I walk 9 miles per week and do light weight bearing exercises 4 times per week, so I'm in pretty good shape for my age.

If you haven't had your eyes checked for two years or more, you might try that.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Chris Batha mentions some exercises in his book...the one I can remember...focus on a distant object...then focus on an object you are holding in your hand...return to the first object...repeat until tired.

Another option, use a magic dot? Occluder? Tape over off eye? Dab of lip balm...just obstruct the vision of the dominant/off eye when looking down the barrel.

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
things start getting hot and the shooting is nonstop I start missing more later in the hunt usually after shooting around 10-12 birds.
You sure it is your eyes and not just fatigue from heat and a lot of shooting?

I live in Florida, and I can tell you that shooting a lot here in the heat of summer wears you out real quick. Exhaustion, fatigue, dehydration, whatever you want to call it plays a major role

·
Registered
698 Posts
My first thought was dehydration. Your eyes are 90% water, and will be the first thing to soften when you start to loose enough. Enough sleep?

Battha's eye "push-ups" are a great strengthening exercise, but I've seen too many get dehydrated. Do you get eye-tired after 25 skeet targets?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
try keeping a bottle of eye drops in your cooler and give your eyes a squirt from time to time. It will rinse them out and the cool drops will revitalize the eyes.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
I cringe every time I read someone write "dominate eye"

It's DOMINANT. Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.

Public school education at its best, I guess.......

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
c.j. said:
....I have noticed that when I am on dove hunts and things start getting hot and the shooting is nonstop I start missing more later in the hunt usually after shooting around 10-12 birds. I think it is from my non dominant eye getting tired of being used so much and my dominant one takes over and causes me to miss....
I doubt your conclusion....at least as a single factor.
Loss of focus, not eye-related focus, happens....call it loss of concentration.
That said, becoming tired in whatever muscle, happens and dehydration is a prime reason for us all.
Take a break, have some water and relax.
Machines are over-rated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was thinking what some of the others were: fatigue, dehydration.

Are you eating during the hunt? Drinking plenty of water before and during? Do you have a chair, cool towel? Wearing a hat? Have shade?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts