Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
BelDad the Germans do have Flankers and they are pretty formidable. The flat spin move you saw by the other airplane is not production iron and defies the laws of aerodynamics as I understand them. I think it might need side thrusters. No telling what is out there in Dream Land, but the Raptor and the 35 frame are eating most of the budget that I know of. But I don't know much and less each year.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Kinda fun. What's an F/A 37 though? The designation for the JSF is F-35 and others have mentioned the Raptor. Just relax and enjoy SE of a ficticious plane beating a Flanker, huh?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 37 may or may not be fiction. 'There sure were a lot of sightings of ram jet trails off the Cal coast. Our government never shows all it has, the Blackbird is a good example... it was a long time before we were allowed to see it... and me thinks it has been replaced by a faster, higher flying plane.

bd

G

·
Ram jets need great gobs of laminar flowing air and are patently unsuited for manuevering flight. You would flame one out operating in ram mode instantly with a bat turn required in a manuevering fight. The blackbird engines operate in two modes - up high and fast: ramjet. Lower and slower: turbo jet. They do it with the magic of serious inlet geometry flexibility. Anyhow, I know of no droop-winged fighter the likes of the 37 depicted, tho the internal rotary missile launcher is a feature of the Raptor. The dogfight sequences are not very realistic.

But I did see a snippet of a computer dogfight that WAS realistic someplace - I can't remember where - and obviously the second (trailing) computer generated aircraft image was being manipulated by someone who knew about Air Combat Manuevering principles. It was refreshing to watch it because as I watched, the second jet was reacting just about the way it should have and my eyebrows kept getting higher and higher - haha. One of the plane figures was a ghostly whitish Raptor as I remember. Ah - mmm - yes it was the trailing figure that was the Raptor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.