Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from some who feel some that some models are a bit bulky and earlier stock configuration matters, it seems the FABARM XLR is being accepted very well. Certainly seems to be a superbly conceived & executed semi-auto. What are user's opinions? I'm particularly interested in the FR as a sporting clays gun. I've got several 391's but am tempted!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently purchased an XLR5-LR. Only have about 3 flats thru it shooting sporting clays but really like it. Very soft shooting, feels heavy but well balanced and swings smoothly. Adjustable comb allows you to get the cast correct. Several friends have tried it and all have been impressed. Was never impressed with Rem or Beretta semis but I really like the Fabarm, and shoot it well also!

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I have one but rarely shoot it because I am a big K80 fan. The little I did shoot it (about 500 rounds) I found it to be the softest shooting auto I have ever shot. It is easy to clean and will shoot about anything you can put through it. Due to not shooting it I have decided to sell it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the LR model. First and only S/A shotgun I've ever had. Before I bought it I looked at (but did not shoot) a A400, a Maxus, and a Benelli Super Sport. It came down to between the XLR5 and the Benelli. They were in the same shop so I could handle one and then the other multiple times back to back. The XLR5 just felt better to me. (But that Super Sport was totally bad *** looking.)

I have slightly less than 1,000 rounds through it, shooting Rio or Gun Clubs 1/7.5, 1/8, or 1-1/8/8. Never a problem. I clean it about every 300 rounds and it is easy to clean. I'm far for an experienced and/or expert clay shooter, but I will agree with what CACer said, probably a tad heavier than other S/A's, but well balanced and swings well. I sometimes shoot trap with it using a shell catcher.

In my novice opinion I would definitely recommend the XLR5 for consideration if someone is looking for a sporting semi-auto.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I broke numerous parts in under a year thru mine. If they had a gas bleed system to slow the bolt it would be better. The gun beats itself to death with 3 dram and higher loads. Gun pointed good, patterned great but could not hold up to a 10,000 rounds a year pace.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had mine (XLR5-AR) since March and other than a few weeks when I couldn't shoot, I've been pretty consistently putting 175-200 rounds per week since then. My math puts me at about 2,700 rounds. Mostly AA's but recently I've been shooting Rio's. My gun doesn't like Top Gun shells or Winchester white box. I always shoot 1 1/8oz loads and do switch between 7.5's and 8's. Gun has been very reliable for me. I had an issue with a part on the magazine tube coming unscrewed but blue loc-tite solved it. I've shot Super Sport's, A400 Xcel's, Maxus, Super X3's...none of them shoot as soft.

The gun is heavy, but it doesn't feel heavy when I'm shooting it or pushing it around in my cart. It swings very smooth for me. I wouldn't trade it for any of the other semi-auto's that I've shot. That said, I have not shot the A400 multi-target. I'm guessing I would be okay with it since they basically copied the XLR5 but with cheap looking wood.

Keep it clean and use very light lube. I clean mine after every second outing, and it's very easy to clean.

If it fits, and points naturally for you, you'll love it. I knew it was the gun for me as soon as I mounted it in the store. I've not once felt the slightest bit of buyers remorse.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My wife is shooting a Syren XLR5, it is heavy but moves well, seems built like a tank but will not go 400 rounds without being cleaned before it starts jamming. It doesn't like shells under 1200 fps. My wife loves the gun and she shoots it well. I just have to keep it clean.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hummm...obviously a well-made gun, but certainly not unanimous adulation. I've been tempted to get one, but not sure if I'm gaining any reliability over my 391's, which are very reliable...just a PIA to clean.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My XLR5 Velocity LR has been my clays gun for about two years now, in left hand configuration. That puts the bolt closure and eject port on the same side (left). I shoot nothing but 7/8 oz #8 at 1200 fps and the hulls land at least 5 feet away. I've put about 3,000 rounds through it without any problems. I am now a believer in adjustable combs.

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
rmiddlemas said:
Aside from some who feel some that some models are a bit bulky and earlier stock configuration matters, it seems the FABARM XLR is being accepted very well. Certainly seems to be a superbly conceived & executed semi-auto. What are user's opinions? I'm particularly interested in the FR as a sporting clays gun. I've got several 391's but am tempted!
Yes, the original offering was big.

While not at all a light gun, it (FR) is a full one pound lighter than the XLR5 LR out of the box, that weighs a substantial 8-3/4 lbs. That is, however, with the LR's factory recoil reducer (5.36 ounces) installed. Without the recoil reducer, the difference is about 11 ounces lighter for the FR version. If you want to add the Kinetik Recoil Reducer to the FR, you can, as an option, as well as optional forearm cap weights.

The Fabarm Velocity FR trigger is excellent, as might imagine, breaking crisply at four pounds. The FR has a bit smaller, slimmer pistol grip which some shooters are going to prefer. The choice of model for you is going to depend in large measure on how much adjustability you prefer, as the FR does not have the adjustable comb of the AR and LR models.

The wood on the Fabarm XLR5 FR is "Tri-Wood," and opinions are going to vary. It is ink-enhanced walnut, not a film, and has been used by Fabarm since 2002. It does not have the obvious seam of dipped finishes, and is far better-looking than the Beretta "X-Tra Wood" attempt. Although it is better-done than most other enhanced wood treatments, my own preference is for just a reasonably good standard grade of walnut with a conventional finish. Nevertheless, it does look like an $1800 premium stock set and appears to have a very tough acrylic clear finish as well.

The XLR Velocity FR has an adjustable trigger. That's one of the areas that you normally cannot adjust: the distance of the trigger from the pistol grip that the trigger is placed. With the FR, you can move the physical trigger forward or backward to suit your own preference.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Hyak said:
It will, in my opinion, as time passes be considered the best semi-auto ever made.[/quote
Ever since I had mine (1 and 1/2 years) I rarely shoot my o/u. It works best when clean but what semi-auto doesn't. Great shotgun. I have put thousands of rounds of reloads through it.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I looked at them. I asked myself what am I going to do with the XLR that I can't do with a Beretta 390,391 or 400? I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money on any S/A. And that includes the Beretta Multi Target. JMHO.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The local dealer had them priced at MSRP since last year and now they are "on sale" for $1800. I really like the looks and handling...but with tax it's an extra $400-$500 over what I paid for my Xcel and Action. I don't think I'll succumb to temptation but who knows.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Tried the high rib model couple years ago. Complete flop. Sent it back TWICE. Light hits on primers. Never would run over 100 without cleaning. Rib had a ping in it with every shot. I had the gen 3 stock...still needed to be redone to fit. I know of another that has been worse than the one I had. I dragged out the 391's I never sold and NEVER looked back.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
A regular clay target shooter will put at least a 1000 rounds a month on a gun. A real test is if a gun can go 12,000+ rounds a year for several years without breaking something, as long as you are cleaning it once or twice a month.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I own and shoot 2 XLR5's. My AR is from the original shipment of guns to the US. About a year later I sold my Berettas and bought an LR as a back up gun. I have been shooting the LR lately and liking it a bunch.

I have found that, if properly maintained, the Fabarm is THE most reliable semi in my experience, and I've owned 1100's, Browning Gold's, B 391's, a 390 and a 303, Winchester Super X1 and 2.

The XLR5 is soft shooting and seem to like very light loads.

Fabarm/Guerini service is second to none, and the folks there are accessible and accommodating.

I doubt very much if, unless the song of the O/U seduces me, I will ever compete with another semi auto.

(full disclosure; I'm also tickled that they used a photo of me on their catalog and website. I don't get many modeling requests!)

https://fabarmusa.com/xlr5-velocity-ar/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.