Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a buddy of mine lost my factory choke tube for my M2 20 gauge while on a hunting trip to Canada exactly one year ago. I called and spoke with Joe at Benelli when we got back, and he sent me a new one. To my chagrin, the only tubes they stock are not the factory original tubes. They say "Benelli by Trulock". They don't appear to be crio treated, but rather say "Crio Style" on the packaging, and there are no notches on the end of the tube so you can tell which tube it is while it's in the gun.

I called Joe a couple more times, he said he would have to go to a different building and get one from a returned gun, but he was confident he could get me one. After waiting a a month or two, I called again, he again stated he could get me one. This happened at least three times. My most recent call was on November 21. I got transferred around, spending 30 minutes on the phone. I was finally put in contact with a woman, I think in corporate, who said it was actually possible to order the factory tube. She said there would be a charge, quoting me $71. I said okay, gave her my billing info, but unfortunately don't remember her name and didn't get her extension.

I asked my wife this morning if it came while I was away, she said no. I've been on the phone with Benelli again this morning, they have no record of an order, no info at all. Corporate said they don't take credit card info, etc, etc, etc. Customer service at Benelli USA has tried to be helpful, and this post is not a criticism of them.

So, the first question is why is it so hard to get an actual Benelli choke tube out of Benelli USA? Benelli makes a big deal out of crio treatment, I really doubt the Trulock tubes are. So, Benelli is passing off aftermarket choke tubes as their own. Second question, does anybody here know how I can get a factory Benelli tube from Italy? Third question, who at Benelli made the decision to go to an aftermarket company for their choke tubes instead of bringing them in from Italy like they do for all their other replacement parts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to hear about your customer service experience with Benelli. Have you tried to order one from Midwest Gunworks, Midway USA, or Brownells?

For what it's worth, the Trulock choke is probably superior to the factory one.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
>>For what it's worth, the Trulock choke is probably superior to the factory one<<

I would agree with that. I've owned four Benelli autos and never once used the factory supplied chokes. I'm sure they're fine, but I've just always used Trulocks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've seen this too. Chokes supplied with a new gun will typically be notched and show the printed Benelli descriptions on the tube. I have ordered full choked Benelli flush crio tubes twice from Midwest Gun Works and they are marked 'by Trulock' and both had different gun descriptions...M2/Super Sport, the other...Sport II. Nonetheless the tubes fit any late production crio barrel according to most product descriptions. They're packaged on a red/black display card. No notching, at least on the full tubes I received. I don't think one can acquire specific matches of Benelli tubes shipped with factory guns, direct or online. If you discover differently please post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Benelli SBE 2 that I received from my brother in law as a gift last year. He apparently won the gun years ago in a lottery at a turkey banquet. I love the feel and balance of the gun and the lack of recoil. I don't think he ever used the can as it looks brand new. My question it came with 4 chokes: a Cylinder, a modified, improved modified, and a full. I don't know if the IC was lost. the manual says that the IM and full chokes are not to be used with steel shot. My state waterfowl booklet states that the best chokes for ducks and geese at long range is an improved modified or a full choke using traditional highly spherical ball-shaped pellets or Hevi-shotpellets which are harder than steel.

Are there new IM and F chokes available that can be used with steel?
It also has a vented barrel which makes for a very loud report but probably reduces recoil. Is the vented barrel standard on all the guns?

Thanks for any info you may have

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
bsp212 said:
Sorry to hear about your customer service experience with Benelli. Have you tried to order one from Midwest Gunworks, Midway USA, or Brownells?

For what it's worth, the Trulock choke is probably superior to the factory one.

Paddler: If you can get by the brain washing of Crio treated choke tubes and put in an appropriate one from Trulock; you will discover that all is well. In fact as others here have indicated, the Trulock choke tubes will most likely be superior to the factory "Crio Treated" ones.

There is no evidence to be found that Crio treatment is of any benefit to shotgun barrels or choke tubes-NONE! All that is available is a lot of unsubstantiated marketing hype. You don't believe that? Consider the following then.

Why wouldn't the endorsed professional competitors who travel the world shooting for money and their livelihood, insist on and use Crio treatment if they were superior? Yet they don't! The proper size Trulock, Carlson, Briley, Teague, etc. choke tube will serve you well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
montero said:
Are there new IM and F chokes available that can be used with steel?
It also has a vented barrel which makes for a very loud report but probably reduces recoil. Is the vented barrel standard on all the guns?
The wife and I are using Muller H20 Passing chokes in our Benelli's with great results. No shot size limit.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts