Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new SPR453 from Bass Pro Shops. I've read nearly every thread here and am about to start my 100 heavy load break-in. The problem is that my gas settings appear to be all the way tuned to light loads. I'm about 2 full turns below the cutout. I don't want to harm the gun by shooting heavy loads when it's tuned to light loads, but I've also read the countless posts that say don't touch the factory gas setting.

Any advice?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I too am having problems cycling light(skeet) loads. I have shot 400 rounds of 2 3/4 inch 1 1/4 oz loads that cycle perfectly, but when I try to shoot the lighter under 1 1/4 oz they are not ejected. I adjusted the gas nut to no avail, so I put it back to the factory setting which is flush with the bottom of the notches. Should we send the gun back to the factory? I love this Spr 453 but the money I am spending on ammo to "break in" the gun seams like it would have been better to buy a more expensive gun that cycles evertything. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know the guy above is talking about, but to the OP - Yes, adjust the gas adjustment flush with the bottom of the cutout. For whatever reason it sounds like yours did not come from the factory in the correct position.

If I were you, I would loosen the gas adjustment until it is right even with the bottom of the notch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think his point is that your post has nothing to do with mine.

I took a closer look and my factory set line is well below the cutout. I think I'll leave it where it is and see how it goes with my break in and report back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, don't pay any attention to the little line they have painted on there. What you're concerned with is that the top of the actual spring in there that you turn in and out is flush with the bottom of the notched window.

if you tighten it, it goes below the window and that is for the heavy loads. if you loosen the adjustment, it goes up higher than the bottom of the notch and into closer to the middle of the notch and that is for the heavy loads.

For break in, i'd just keep it right even with the very bottom of the notch window.

let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries. Hope you get your problem solved.

I got a chance to go to the range today. I wasn't able to shoot my heavy loads due to the rules of the skeet/trap range not allowing more than 3dram shells. So I had to cycle it with 1 1/8oz target shells. It worked OK. It cycled the second round in about 1/2 the time and by the time I'd finished my 3rd round, it seemed to be cycling pretty well. Much better than the first few rounds. I think after a few more rounds I'll be broken in and I can re-visit the idea of adjusting the gas nut.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my gun. I'm thinking of just snagging some heavy @$$ rounds and making a trip to the rifle range (where they allow slugs) and just down some of them bad mothers. I REALLY need to break my gun in so I can buy some cheapo 1 1/8 oz. rounds. I go skeet shooting and I can barely cycle remington rounds (FORGET Winchester rounds all together!). No big deal I guess. I just want to be able to spend $20 on a box of 100 and fire 'em off!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took my gun out trap shooting again today. It's got 135 rounds through it now and ejects the Walmart Federal 3 Dram #8 ammo about 5 feet 100% now. I honed the wear points prior to shooting and cycled it by hand about 200 times. The first 75 rounds or so didn't eject 100%, but after that all was great.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I have noticed over time some of these guns take more rounds than others to break in reliably shooting 2-3/4 rounds. My gun took over 300 rounds. My nephews gun only took a box of 25...:lol: I have also noticed that Baikal for some strange reason will paint the lines in different places on the gas adjustment notch. Go figure that one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kingjamez,

I had an even more extreme case of the factory setting. The valve nut was a full 10 turns shallow of the window from the factory. After adjusting it back up to window level I was having some problems fitting the barrel onto the stock. Did you encounter this at all ?

How's your gun thus far?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always have problems fitting the barrel onto the stock. But I don't think it has anything to do with the gas nut. It takes a little convincing, but it always goes on.

I shot 75 more rounds of Remington Gun Club 1&1/8oz loads last night. No problems and it was ejecting the shells almost to the next shooter on the trap field.

-Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.