Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve owned a FAIR Carrera 12ga for a year or so. Great little gun, never given me any issues over a couple thousand rounds, but I have a choke question.

Office supplies Writing implement Bumper Office equipment Tints and shades

What are the smooth blued extra long Full and Modified chokes intended for? Honestly the gun came with a nice assortment of choke tubes, two flush, four knurled extended, plus these two XL tubes, I even bought an extended L Modified from IFG for a reasonable price.

But those extra extended tubes stick out 2 3/8” past the muzzles, the manual doesn’t address them, I can’t find anything about them online. They are a duplication of the knurled normally extended Full and Modified but there has to be some reason they were included. They’re like the Stonehenge of choke tubes…

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
There is a belief that a longer parallel section past the taper will tighten the pattern with a reasonable shot size !
Choke tube manufactures follow the directions of ballistic engineers and marketing people at what catches buyers
eyes best !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the gun handle/swing differently with those installed? Saw another set once and wondered if they might provide some stability to a 26 inch barreled o/u I have.
Mine is a 28” gun, I don’t notice any difference with these installed but they’re very thin and I’m not the type who notices a pea under my mattress. YMMV.

·
Registered
27,000 Posts
Intended to add some length to change the MOI (Moment of Inertia). Whether or not that makes the handling better or worse is a personal judgement

Reactions: Rick_R
1 - 5 of 5 Posts