Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: First of all, I really appreciate this site. I get to browse the opinions of some really great hunters...thanks!

Having spent the last two years hunting ducks in Canada, I really got to see just how bad steel is. I'm convinced it's an accident when any duck falls.

As I relate my story to the local hunting store experts, I hear divergent opinions.

1. One says pay the premium for Hevy-Shot or some reasonable facsimile.

2. Another says I should try PaternMaster choke tubes. It exhausts the barrel and keeps the steel pellts from colliding.

Any thoughts/opinions/experience from my arsenal of duck hunting friends?

DuckIowa

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
For me the cost of hevi-shot more than pays for itself in birds I don't cripple. It patterns better than anything (including lead) that I've shot and the way I see it, it's going to be what we all shoot eventually.

When I'm upland hunting on National Wildlife Refuge lands I don't have to worry about trying to take pheasant and quail with #2 steel. I can throw in #7.5 hevi-shot and KNOW that it will work equally well for both species.

I've actually seen a guy KILL 4 ducks using #6 Hevi-Shot with one shot (35 yard shot, jump shooting, Remington 870, improved cylinder, birds got about 10 feet off the water and Kaboom, dead). That was the first year I tried it and the last time I bought steel shot.

Another thing it lets me do is continue to use my 20 gauge for ducks, geese and turkey.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I agree with JLP. use Hevi when you can. It's great stuff. How many rounds do you actually shoot at live game, anyway? 10-15 shots at ducks? Maybe a few more at Geese? one or two at turkeys?If you have an old shotgun get Bismuth. My old Ithaca just eats it up.

Best,

Jeff23

1 - 3 of 3 Posts