Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
stryfe101 said:
what the heck is a magazine follower..and why do people get high visibilty ones?

i've been trying to find this answer for a while.

btw nice forums..and i'm glad to be here

Gray
I can't say this for sure, but I'm pretty sure this is what it is

It's the plastic piece that goes on the end of the magazine spring (not the end with cap), and a high visibility one will allow you to see the gun is unloaded much easier than trying to get a good look with a black one. With a high visibility one, you can look with the action opened, is it brass, or orange?

· Registered
6 Posts
This is very helpful as I am learning about shotguns, I just got a mossberg 500 and a remington 870, both home defense type. One question I have and can not find is info on all the types of shells as far as like #7 or # 8, OO and so forth...I have no idea of what numbers mean or what to use for practice and defense, please any help would be appreciated!

Just saw an 1100 in pawnshop....looks pretty nice.... wonder how semi's shoot compared to pumps?

· Registered
1 Posts
I am a new owner of a Mossberg shotgun that I mean to use for HD. I am familiar with handguns and rifles. My question has to do with cleaning. Do I need a new cleaning rod for a shotgun? I have invested a bit of money in one piece rods, but I'm not sure they are the correct threading for shotgun accessories. Are there adapters? I don't care for two or three piece rods but that's what is included in the cleaning kits I've seen. Any suggestions are welcome. Great site, by the way. TIA for any advice. Bill

· Registered
72 Posts
What is the difference in application between a straight recoil pad and the curved ones? It seems like the curved ones could fit into the shoulder pocket more completely, but would be more difficult to mount in a hurry? Or I could be entirely wrong, so if someone could explain, that would be greatly appreciated since I have to put a recoil pad on an old O/U I want to pass down to my son as a starter gun. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1 Posts
The diagram has been super helpful. I have been reading through all the post on the new shooters pages, and I love the definitions, but still felt like I have been reading Greek until I found the picture... Being a Montessori style learner, this helped greatly. I was able to blow it up and print it out, and then start reading the definitions again. Some how it made a lot more sense. I can't wait to learn lots more and pick the minds of intelligence this site lends to the rest of us on this subject.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.