Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite load for geese? I'm shooting an 870, 12g 3" BB's, and all I can find is the 1 1/8"oz load. I'm wondering if this is the main load they offer or are you guys using something I'm not seeing on the shelf? It's been working for me pretty good and I was real happy with the patterns, just curious what you Fasteel shooters are using and how it performs for you.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I like to use the 3 1/2 either 2's or BB.

·
Registered
255 Posts
3" - 2's at 1 1/4oz load. Pick them up consistently at Sportman's Warehouse in Littleton, CO.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have bought my last box of Hevisteel. I bought 3" #2s and wasn't impressed. I will go back to my regular steel loads of Fasteel or Win HV Xpert.
Chris

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Do you use the 2's for a combo duck/goose load? I patterned the BB's and got 77 of 82 to hit real nicely at about 35-40 yards out of the mod. choke. It's been getting geese for me but I'm still skeptical about trying this one on ducks. Figured the 2's might be the ticket for that. How do they penetrate the geese, and at what distances do you typically shoot geese with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
those BB's on ducks may surprise you.
They work better than you think, especially with the patterns your getting.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah you're right. I like the patterns most definately, and the shot itself seems to be real uniform with no odd-sized pellets in the mix. :) Thanks UltraMag, I'll try em out on the ducks then.................I'm still curious how the 2's are doing for Chaco and Cleric?

·
Registered
88 Posts
cg,
I'm using 3 1/2" Kent Fast Steel 1 3/8 oz. BBB @ 1550 f.p.s. and getting a 91% pattern inside a 30" circle at 40 yards.

Admittedly, it can be difficult to get fast steel shot loads to produce good patterns....without a good choke tube. I spent the $75 and purchased a Terror choke from Wad Wizard (they're also available from Sure Cycle) in a .675" restriction and it has been well worth it. :D

I've shot geese at 55+ yards and they come out stone dead. Shooting over decoys you might want to consider a .700" restriction. Talk to Jeff at Sure Cycle, for your particular needs with shot sizes, distances, etc. and he'll know what will work for you in your application. 8)

Good hunting, Outdoorguy57

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Winchester Xpert 3 1/2" BB 1 3/8oz at 1,550fps. Works well on both the patterning board and smashing the big honkers.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
UltraMag said:
those BB's on ducks may surprise you.
They work better than you think, especially with the patterns your getting.
Ultramags right on this point. I have used BB's incedently on ducks, as that was all I had for ammunition at the time. Knocked them down dead, and at a fair range too.

My son was eating some duck one night and he spit out a BB. He looked kind of shocked, and said, "Is this what you use to shoot ducks with?" :D

The BB 1-1/8oz load at 1550fps worked good on geese for me this year, and these were the big, big, Alberta grain fed Canadas. Good penetration. Only had one coaster, and unfortunately it went down in the middle of an uncut wheat field. Coyote food.. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
In a similar vein, I was at the local shop and a guy had accidentally ordered a couple cases of 2 3/4 BB steel. It was killer cheap - so i bought a bunch of boxes. But i dont know what good they are. I suppose I could use them to swat downed ducks, but they seem like it wold be too large a shot for close in ducks, and not fast/large enough lof a load like i would get out of the 3" shells for geese at a distance. What would you guys use em for?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
12GAguy, I'll be giving them a try on ducks this weekend if they're flying. Been seeing a lot of them lately but every now and then it slows down and we don't get as many that come through here. Geese are always around though. We're hoping for another good one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cg, don't fix anything that ain't broke. Go with what you got if it works great if not then fix it.
Don't go out and buy any spendy choke tubes you can't return.
What works for one gun may not work for another. Or for a different brand of shells for that matter.
I like cheap shells , one of my autos loves Remington Sportsman fast steel, my other jams with Remington and likes Kents.
T/J

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I bought 1 box of Kent Fasteels, 3" 1 1/8oz BB's.
Patterned in my 391 12ga w/factory mod tube (ext-Optima tubes in a Sporting barrel)....Low/left is where the core of the pattern was. I/C was fairly open, covered so..so.
All patterning was @ 25yds

I have not shot it in my field barrel w/Optima Plus choke tubes.
I have factory flush and Trulock PH extended, Cyl thru Skt-2 for the field barrel.
Estates 2 3/4" #4's patterned GREAT :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts