Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone's favorite heavy upland load is. My all time favorite is 1 ounce of sixes doing 1220 fps with a SP20 wad. This year I have loaded up plenty to make it through the season but have also made some 1 1/8 ouncers at 1175 fps as heavy hitters and 7/8 ounces doing 1470-1480 and another at 1 ounce and 1330-1340. Out were I am it's all Chukar/Huns. Just curious to see what everyone else likes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fed hull, 19 grins long shot, 20s1 wad and an ounce of sevens for Huns, chukars and prairie grouse. 1200 fps is all I found necessary. Try to pickup up my hulls in the field, but if I can't find them you can pick them up at the trap house by the bucket.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be nice to have hulls available like that. Chukar country is known to be a pain for retrieving hulls. They end up in shale slides, over cliffs, in sagebrush in the snow and are all too easy to misplace on a staggered flush. You also put the load you are talking about in a gas operated auto and it's a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
7.5 for the first shot and 6 for the second worked well for me on those wily little you-know-whats......

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oneounceload has it, Bobk too. One ounce nickel plated number 6 shot at 1200 fps for the second barrel.
One ounce 7 1/2 shot for the more open choke in my 20 gauge guns.
I probably would stick with one ounce in the 16 gauge also.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
NV -- For the upland shooting you described (I've not shot chukar) and close pheasant, a load of Blue Dot ~23gr, either an SP20 or WAAF20 (I've still got as few of them) and 1 oz of #6 mag lead should be all you need.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how they perform in my gun/chokes.

Patterns from 20-gauge Browning Citoris with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (RSTS, R209, BLUE DOT, WAA20F1)
1 oz #6 lead WC Mag (233 pellets) 1,200 fps
30 YARDS - IC / pattern 168 (72%)
40 YARDS - IM / pattern 163 (70%)

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the SP20 after the WAA20F1 was discontinued as I used to load it with Blue Dot and 800x. I'm down to my last two bags. I really can't complain though with the longshot/SP20 combo. I personally like it better. Low volume of longshot 18.1 grains to achieve 1220 fps and I think the SP20 is easier a to reload. I will say this load doesn't fit in premiers as well and I personally like it better in the old AA. It also does an amazing job on Chukar which are notoriously hard to bring down.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For my hunting of ruffed grouse and woodcock I have always liked the 1165fps 1oz 20ga loads with Herco and a Rem SP20 wad. I agree with Joe Hunter on using Blue Dot for a 1200fps - 1220fps 1oz load with SP20 wads, I especially like Blue Dot over other powders in the Rem STS hull. I personally have always felt the Rem wads for both the 12ga and 20ga were better than the Win wads even though in most of my loads in both gauges I have used the AACF hulls.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I am one of the old school who doesn't need blazing velocity to kill pheasants. I found this load and it is a killer on roosters in SD out of either my Ruger Red label or S&W Elite Gold.

Federal/Estate 20 ga. target hulls
1 oz Nickle Plated #5 1/2 (BPI)
16 gr. Herco
Rem SP wad
Fed 209A primer
1175 fps/9800psi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.