English, Gordon, Lewellen Setters613.33%
German, English, Wirehaired Pointers48.89%
Vizsla, Weimeraners Versatile Pointers511.11%
Other24.44%

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What's your favorite gun dog to hunt over? I grew up over a grand ol' Lab named Oly and have since hunted over Brittanys, Vizslas (what I own now), English Pointers, English Setters and even a very nice Irish Setter. Let us know

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I don't have a dog yet because the breed I want is practically impossible to get ahold of in the americas. So if anyone knows where I can get an Irish red and white setter let me know.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
My favorite breed is the one best suited to the quarry and conditions on hand. I own English setters and German wirehairs mainly because I mostly hunt upland birds and love shooting over points. Another reason is that my hunting buddies mostly have Labs and they cover the hardcore waterfowling and some pheasant. Another buddy has Springers which are great pheasant finders. I have the large cover and scattered bird arena and we cover all bases when we get together. Often one or more of their dogs accompany me on my trips to get more experience.

G

·
I hunt with a German Shepherd yeah,thats right a shepherd and he out hunts every dog out there. and loves to swim he's a great duck and smart as a whip .He'll find a bird come hell or high water.I would put him up against any flushing retriever in the country.
so my vote is for the German Shepherd
he is also a rescue shepherd,picked him up at the pound as a puppy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My experience is limited to my first and current bird dog, a Vizsla. I am thus far very pleased with her, she is an excellent hunter and an outstanding companion.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pigeon hunter what a great dog and story if you are a guest go ahead and register and put some pics up of your good pups. I've seen hunting standard poodles, I know a guy in Oregon that uses his Jack Russel Terrier as a pheasant dog, but German Shepard is a new one. It's in all of them we sometimes just have to learn how to harness it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I voted for the Lab.

I own a black and Chocolate lab (both females) from a good bloodline. (Storms Riptide Star)

I wouldnt have a chessy or golden cause I love my labs, labs love to please.

I dont do any upland hunting that often, so I dont have any pointers.

Just waterfowl and doves.

Also, I would love to see the German shepard in the duck blind.
I know any dog is trainable but it must have been hard to do because I wouldnt think a Shepard would have the retrievial desire like a lab does.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I hunt a Weimaraner and an English Setter the Weim is my favorite mostly do to personality.He is the better retriever of the two,the English Setter has the best nose and the hardest head.
Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
I hunt with 2 Springer Spaniels. I mostly hunt pheasants and occaisonallly chuckars and quail. These dogs live to hunt pheasants and do it well.

I have a cousin who hunts with a border colley and he claims to do well.

I've seen a guy hunting with an Austrailian dog called a dingo. Both times I saw this guy he was toting around 8 or 9 pheasants. That dog looked sharp!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'd have to vote for the Golden Retriever.... no prejudice here at all (yeah, right). As a group, these guys may be more passionate about their dogs than they are about their shotguns.

My cousin used to hunt ruffed grouse with a Dalmation (yup, you read that right). The dog would get all birdy, but then YOU had to walk up the grouse - the dog wouldn't. When you shot the bird, the dog would run over to where it fell and stand there looking at it. Now, he has a black lab - I think it's just so we'd all quit teasing him.

·
Registered
111 Posts
springers would have to get my vote. i have never hunted with any better pheasant dogs than springers. i only wish mine was a little better.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have an English Spinger Spaniel. Damn smart dog and a great friend. I hunt mainly dove and quail, use him mainly to help me find lost birds and flush quail. He works close and gives good sign when quail are near. Not classically trained or an expensive dog by any means ... saved him from the pound for $60 and it was an investment that has paid me back thousands of times over the last 7 years.

I was thinking about getting another dog ... maybe trying a Brittany Spaniel this time ... any thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
English Pointer, We call Kota a three county dog because she could run through three counties before even thinking of a break. She is a great chukar huntin dog goes up and down those canyons all day long. Plus she is a good retriever, her only down fall is she hates the water. That is, unless I am on the Deschutes casting flies.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If I had room for two dogs, I'd have a lab for ducks and an english pointer, shorthair, or brittainy for upland. I have a brittainy now, and he's a fine all around upland dog. He loves the water too, and if he would sit still for more than two seconds, I'd consider taking him duck hunting. :D

For one all around dog, I'd consider a springer. I had one before, and he was a great duck and pheasant dog, and is serviceable on quail and chukars, but they don't point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The German Shorthaired Pointer is in my opinion the best all around bird dog there is mine will lock up and retrieve on any upland bird around and he'll retrieve all day from the duck blind with no problems he is also the most loving and family friendly dog I have ever owned.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kotadog,
Where in Oregon? Ya know Birdbrained and I probably need a good Chukar hunt if you need some more birddog and hunting help :D

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.