Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us down South load specialized shotshells for turkey hunting. What is your favorite hull in 12 ga., either 3" or 2 3/4"?Federal

·
Registered
330 Posts
my vote is for the one piece molded Winchester shells, the ones with the all brass heads were the best but they all seem to be plated now ?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.......The AA type hull is a good one, especially for the target shooter with AA wads. We don't use it due to its tapered inside as we use wad stacks. The AA wad is not the best over powder seal in .740" over bored barrels. In fact the only over powder wad we have that really works in these barrels is the Ballistic Products X12X. Since we use bulky slow burn powders, the AA hull great as it is, is not good for our applications.......Best Regards, James Edited by: Lex Talio at: 3/11/03 7:32:58 pm

·
Registered
159 Posts
Old blue Rem. Peters high brass still got some of those old dudes nocking around from the 70s.Good Stuff:q Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have access to Active or Rainelle new hulls in the 3" sizing? I know that Active sold to another company, (Kent, I believe) but thought there still might be some available out there somewhere. Any help? Thanks, BFB

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill.....As you know the supply Activ new hulls has been drying up for some time. I am convienced that the Activ line, both loaded and empty hulls, was some of the best out there.....it was a case where they just could not get onto good distribution on the wholesale level Have you called Ballistic Products? Sometimes they have some left, not enough to catalog, still sitting in dead stock. Friend Steve found a bunch of 2 3/4" on either Ebay or Gun Brokers. Best Regards, James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello James: Yes, I tried BPI. They have none in the 3". I have roughly 300 new in the 2.75", but none left in the 3". That particular hull was a real winner in my book, and I am hoping to find a little supply out there somewhere. Thanks, Friend Bill

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
for a premium hunting hull, the sts and gold medal are hard to beat. the AA has less capacity than the other hulls, and i don't care for the new AA. the gold medal is my favorite hull to load.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
For turkey hunting I would buy new Federal Premium shells. The 3" loads have 2 oz of buffered copper plated shot. No more of these "boomers" than I would shoot it would not be very cost effective for me to try to reload them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts