Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
For turkey loads i like to use remington Nitro Mag hulls for my reloading.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I usually use factory loads for most of my 28 gauge hunting needs, but of late years when I use handloads for hunting the hulls have been either Cheddite or Federal.The main reason I have done so is that these hulls work best with the load I have been loading.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
My favorite hull to use for hunting loads is the Federal Gold Medal Paper case. I like them because if one gets left in the field, it quickly disintegrates and doesn't leave ugly plastic sleeves bleaching in the sun. I load them for all my pheasant loads as I often use a pump or semi auto in 12 ga and my wife always does. I also use them for many of my steel shot reloads but there can be some problems with swelling if they get wet. I use them most often when hunting over water as it can be difficult to retrieve hulls that land in the weeds or out from shore. Of the plastic hulls, it doesn't matter, I use them all. The Reifenhauser hulls such as the Federal paper basewad hulls, Fiocchi, Rio, Clay Cartridge, etc. get used the most as they are so common that it doesn't hurt much to lose one (these are my main steel hulls). For 3" I use them all too, I have a steel load that is interchangeable between the Federal, Remington, Winchester, and Activ with only a primer change. I don't reload turkey shells, I have enough of those to last me the rest of my life after what I bought trying to find the "best" load. At the 25 yards or less that I've taken all my turkeys, it really doesn't matter what you use.

·
Registered
936 Posts
remington sts hulls. they happen to be what my favorite upland loads call for. 8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
look at hodgdons data for federal gold medal plastic hulls, 2-3/4" data. using longshot powder you can get the best velocities from this case. i just got 500 empties and loaded some with 1-1/8 oz. shot published at 1585 fps. i chronographed 2 loads and they were at 1680 fps, so i backed off 1 grain powder and now at 1600 fps. all with published 10000 psi. i just need to pattern them to se what kind of holes it has. jim.

·
Registered
169 Posts
20 ga 2 3/4" cheddite and federal. I like the Cheddite with B&P wads since I have done very well with these on late season pheasants. I like the federals because there are lots of loading options for them and I can pick up lots of them at the local public range.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I still have a bunch of AA's(both old and new style) and use them exclusively for now. Once they're used up, I'm switching to STS hulls.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
For 2 3/4", I use Remington because I have tons of them on hand for target loads. For 3", I use mostly Winchesters.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My favorite is the Winchester 6-crimp, high brass hull that was originally a 00 buck military load. Most folks don't realize it is a basic compression formed AA hull in disguise.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I use all straight-walled hulls in my hunting loads in 16 and 28 gauges. Mostly, I use Cheddite/Fiocchi since I can buy them new and primed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.