Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to reload for sporting clay shooting and am interested knowing your favorite loads for 12 *****.

thanks

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I shoot about 98% of the targets with a 1 oz load of #8 at about 1180 fps, and carry a few 1-1/8 oz #7-1/2 at about 1200 fps for the LONG birds.

Choke, of course, depends on the presentation, but most of the courses I've shot are usually IC/MOD for chokes.... once in a while there's a course with a lot of close birds, and I'll switch to SK/IC.

Some guys change chokes at every station, but I almost never do... if you're on, you can break a target a lot farther out than you would expect; it won't be a cloud of smoke, but "we don't grade the breaks.... we just mark 'em, and broke is broke".

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I've kind of settled on whatever powder I happen to have at the time that was on sale, right now I'm shooting REX 1, 700-x Green dot, Promo, and some Nitro 100. That coupled with mostly downrange Jammer XL-1 wads. Mostly #8 with a few 7-1/2s thrown in for good measure, (I had several bags of 7-1/2 shot to use up) with whatever hull and primer I happen to have that give me somewhere in the neighborhood of 1150 to 1250 fps loads. Now and then I load up a few 1-1/8 oz loads, still got a few thousand 1-1/8 oz wads too! Just got a case of Fiocchi primers yesterday for $80 so I guess I'll be using them for a little while. Still have several thousand WWs and STSs too! Boy, I get prety picky about my ammo don't I? :shock:

BP

·
Registered
173 Posts
WW209 primer
18 grs. Promo
Windjammer II wad
1 oz #8 shot
WWAA hulls
This is also my trap load. Relatively inexpensive, easy shooting all around load. In fact, did fairly well at the 25 yard line with it yesterday.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I also like the 1 oz. #8 loaded to about 1235 fps but my main load is 1-1/8 oz #8's at about the same speed. I will also carry a box of 1 oz. #9's at about 1180 fps for close in birds and a box of 1-1/8 oz. #7-1/2 for the long ones. I shoot mostly 1 oz. for practice. 1 oz. loads are with Clays and 1-1/8 oz. are with International Clays. When I started experimenting with my reloads I had poor performance with light 1 oz. loads in cold weather loaded with International Clays. My recipes work very well now.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I seemed to be doing pretty good 7/8 oz #8's at 1250 FPS and 1 oz # 7-1/2's at 1200 FPS for the longer shots or rabbits. But in Compition I shoot 1 oz. *'s, and 7-1/2's.
7/8 oz shot
WAA Hull
CB Lightning/WAA12l Wad
17 gr. 700X
W209 Primer

1 oz shot
WAA Hull
Green Duster Wads
16.5 gr. 700X
W209 Primer

·
Registered
344 Posts
The course that I normally shoot tends to have more close birds so I predominantly load 8s at 7/8oz in the CB-4100 wad at 1250fps. For the longer shots it's 1 oz of 7-1/2s at 1250fps in the same wad.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Like BP, I use whatever I got the cheapest. I'm currently using Alliant Promo powder, PMC primers, and Win WAAL wads but with 7/8 oz of #8s. I'll use Win WAASL wads with 1 oz of 7 1/2 at times. Velocities are in the mid to upper 1200 fps range.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Favorite load for Trap, Clays, even for the field.

18 gr. Red Dot
AA hulls or R-P Blue Magic
Claybuster wads (AA replacement wad)
1-1/8 oz. shot.

7-1/2s for everything except pheasants. Go to 6s or 5s for those beauties.

Patterns very well for both my 1100 and Silver Pigeon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts