Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my area, nearly every civic organization has a turkey shoot approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas. Ten cards on post with dots are placed 100 feet from the shooters. The card with the shot closest to the dot gets the ham or turkey.

You have to stand in line a while but with patience you can get a few chances. Some of the guys go from shoot to shoot with their guns that have been lucky for them. There is probably a dozen turkey shoots within ten miles of my place.

My favorite is an old SKB 900 long recoil action. That gun has put many a turkey and ham in my freezer. I call it my lucky gun for turkey shoots.

·
Registered
338 Posts
In the area where I live, there are numerous "turkey shoots." There are even some that are operating all year as a business. With so many shoots and the opportunity for a side bet or two(I have only heard that this was done :wink: ), there are some "professional" :roll: turkey shoot folk. They most often have what looks to be a new England Pardner, an old winchester 37A, or a Savage single. These are equipped with custom made barrels that cost as much as $400.00 to $600.00, in one case even more. Some of these barrels will take out the card and the support at 100 feet :shock:

I use to reload 12 ***** ammo for one such turkey shoot operation. We finally had to go to number 4 shot because we knew what these "shoot guns" could do.

In parking lot sales, some of these single shot, break open, exposed hammer, hand cocked shoot guns will bring several hundred dollars 8)

·
Registered
402 Posts
There are a lot fewer shoots up here in MI.

Still quite a fun pursuit though.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=123014

I use a Remington 870 with a custom barrel and a big scope. It may appear odd but it meets the rules of my shoot. If you can, get yourself every advantage with a good custom setup. Stock guns with tight turkey chokes can and do win but not as regular as the "built guns"

Also register and check out www.turkeyshoot.net it is a very informative website about the sport and has a list of registered shoots, chat room and forum with classifieds. NC is the heart of the sport, definetly get involved.

How about a pic of the SKB, don't recall seeing one before?

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some pros working the shoots but they are identified and banned from the game. The guys around here pretty near know each other and don't let outsiders shoot but a few times so that these pros can be identified. If they consistently win, and we don't know them, we don't let them shoot any more.

We like for it to be a game that the average Joe can shoot in and stand a chance. It ain't fun any more when a pro comes along and wins every time. We disband and start over as soon as he leaves. The purpose of the shoots is to raise money for the organization and if a pro starts winning every shot, the other contestants pull out until he leaves. It takes ten shooters and nobody wants to pay when there is not much chance of winning.

Now, for a year round shoot that is privately run, there are enough pros to shoot against each other. For our civic groups, we want everyone to stand as even a chance as possible.

Thanks for your reply.

I pick the gun I win more consistently with. Maybe once every 4 or 5 shots if I get lucky. None when I'm not.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Schnabel, I don't know how to post pictures. You can go on gunbroker and find a photo of a 900 SKB semiauto. It has the gold pheasants on the receiver. It was a popular gun back in the late 1960s, imported by Ithaca. The only difference is that I had a Deluxe Polychoke installed on mine when I first got it. I also have an identical 900 without the Polychoke but never use it. It is in like new condition, never been fired a dozen times. I'm keeping it for my boys to inherit when I check out.

I want to try out my Stoeger 2000 with its turkey choke. I think it will do a good job.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Nice gun, Schnabel.

How much do you guys have to pay per shot? We charge $3.00 at the local fire department. Also, have to be on the lookout for what Ev calls the pros. They will ruin a shoot.

I used my Stoeger 2000 with the extended factory choke this year and did fair. Broke even, I guess. It is fun when you can keep the shoot going.

I used a Franchi 48 in prior years. I may go back to it. We raise a good bit of money every year during the holidays.

·
Registered
402 Posts
We have a $3 Meat round and a $5 Money round. Usually about 5 rounds of each so 10 chances to win every Sunday.

Link to our shoot;
http://www.raccoonhunters.org

I do OK with my setup against some looooooong guns, 60" and even a 7' (yes SEVEN FEET LONG) setup. Usually win once or twice on the Money shoots which makes it worth the drive, 16 miles. The place is right by Metro Airport for any locals browsing this post, come on over you can shoot a round using my gun if you like. Just ask for Dave.

Also there are plenty of stock guns that win too. First time I went took my M1 Super90 with a turkey choke and won a 15lb ham.

Here are our Rules;
Open Class Shooting:

* Any choke
* Any barrel
* Scopes OK

Shoot 12/16/20/410 ga @ 75 feet (off rail) up to 20 shooters in one group.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Great Talk guys -- Also check out Forum Section The Fringe --- Lots of Turkeyshoot info listed there.
I have a Skb/Ithaca xl900-- Real nice gun -- Still need to get me a barrel built for it.
The key is Find a shoot that your wallet fits, I dont care what shoot you go to or If they do call it a stock shoot. Stock shoots are full of Super stock guns. Some people call them Church Guns or Sleepers. These guns appear to be stock and some are using a actual stock barrel , But the barrel and chokes have been machined to make them shoot as good as any big built gun.
The main thing is to enjoy the game and have fun. The more competitive you try to get -the more money you will spend .
Kepp it Fun and take a youngster with you ,, teach them the fun of shooting :wink:

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The Meat shoots around here start around Oct and go through Dec.
I have found that out of all my shoutguns my winchester 1300 have won more than any of my other guns.
At the moose lodge I belong to I brought my 1300 in to use as the house gun. in that one day that 1300 won 10 of the rounds.
Needless to say my 1300 beat me more times than I care to admit too. :wink: by the end of the day everyone was using that 1300.

Mike.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Click 'em and they get real big.

The tore up ones went through my Frank Boyer 36" 1-1/8" lined bbl with stopped and lined 641 choke. The other went through a stock Rem 870 Express bbl winth a 665 Extended Rem Choke. The 641 shot wads a re much thinner o the petals, shaved down hard as it exited. The 665 shot wads are normal in appearance.

Just one of the reasons I think my Frank bbl shoots so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my Winchester 120 for Turkey shoots!!

Quick question??

How many pellets are in a 12 Gauge Remington Dove on the box load?

We couldn't believe I had 109 on one sheet and 116 on the other from 90 ft with a stock gun.

Dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a stock 12 gauge Wingmaster with a 30" full barrel that, for whatever reason, was a ringer at meat shoots. One night my older brother and I were trading off with it at a shoot, and we were cleaning up. I was having some coffee, shooting the breeze with some old boys, and here comes my brother with a serious look on his face. "We've got to get the hell outta here" says he." These old boys think we are cheating, and they are about to give us a butt whuppin." We made for the truck...loaded up with turkeys and pork loins. Man, I miss that gun and my brother. What a great time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.