Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im about to buy my first 12ga (hopefully) within a week. I would like to ask you more experienced (at least more than me) hunters about the best loads for 50-60 yard dove shooting, in stiff wind. I think I should not use anything less than 1 1/4oz loads, or is that overkill? Also, what is the least acceptable velocity in a load that is to be used in such a situation.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
1-1/4oz is definitely overkill. During two trips to Argentina, I shot nothing but 7/8oz fo 7.5s @ 1200FPS at doves. I routinely took shots at 40plus yards and, with a Mod choke, killed doves dead in the air.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Definately 1 1/4 oz is not the answer.
In a Sporting Clays course you can position yourself to get a 50-60yards target. As you'll see, it's a very long shot if the distance is correct.
Try diferent loads and chokes at that distance, and see what is best for you. If you get good solid breaks at that distance, you have a good combination for doves.
I have used 7/8 oz in 7.5 size in a 20gauge choked Full and Full, and I'm very happy with the results. When I do my part, this combination works perfectly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot guys, so I guess 1 1/4 is way too much, and my shoulder wouldnt want to shoot those all day, especially not with a single-barrel gun. I guess I would go with 7/8, but more likely 1oz.7.5 seems like the best choice. Henriquemenezes, the gun that I shall buy has fixed chokes, either mod or full (Im not sure which exactly), so no choke selection for me, but I guess both constrictions should work, with the right load.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Depends on which Doves your talking about also.

In my opinion 1 1/4 oz is not to much overkill.

You stated 50-60yds in stiff wind. If i was faced with that choice, which I routinely am, and I load 1 1/4oz of #7's at about 1225-1250fps. But this is for White Winged dove (the size of a pigeon) and Pigeons.

The only time I shoot 7/8oz or 1oz of 7.5's at dove is if they are going to be 30yd max shots.

As for chokes at these distances (60yds) It would be a Full.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
21mtr said:
Depends on which Doves your talking about also.

In my opinion 1 1/4 oz is not to much overkill.

You stated 50-60yds in stiff wind. If i was faced with that choice, which I routinely am, and I load 1 1/4oz of #7's at about 1225-1250fps. But this is for White Winged dove (the size of a pigeon) and Pigeons.

The only time I shoot 7/8oz or 1oz of 7.5's at dove is if they are going to be 30yd max shots.

As for chokes at these distances (60yds) It would be a Full.
Thanks 21mtr,

The doves I shall be shooting at will be turtle doves, large ones, more like pigeons. Overhead passing, as they do not land.

Seems like I shall buy 7/8oz #9 for close shots, 1oz #7.5 mid range and flushing coveys, and 1 1/4oz #6 for long range shots.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I hunt white winged doves, and mourning doves... for mourning doves (which are smaller and fly closer) i usually use 9's in 7/8 oz...
for white wings i prefer 7.5's or 8's. 7/8oz or 1oz.. though i have hunted them with 9's too... i rarely choke over IC... and my basic setup is sk/sk or sk/IC...
i would go for 6's since they are a slower pellet and thpugh may hit harder may never hit the targer.
I'd stick to the 7.5's they are a great overall pellet... maybe throw in some 9's
To stop messing your head deciding if its a close one, a high one, etc... try to keep to one load, and keep maybe some other handy... if you feel you are not shooting at your regular level then maybe switch... Its more the shooter than the load usually. and id guess shots over 40-45yds are pretty far away for doves...
good luck anyway

·
Registered
363 Posts
Our whitewings are normally high flyers also.

a 1 1/8oz load of 50/50 mix of #7 works nice. For mournings I use a 1 oz 50/50 mix of 8/8.5s and 1 1/8oz of 8/7.5's.

I do agree on sticking with one load, and if I had to make one choice for load and choke it would be a Light mod with 1 1/8oz of 7.5's at 1250fps. If you use 6's tighten your choke.

I'm fortunate enough to have the ability to take and change loads at will.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I do agree on sticking with one load, and if I had to make one choice for load and choke it would be a Light mod with 1 1/8oz of 7.5's at 1250fps. If you use 6's tighten your choke.
I'll second that. Most of the dove shooting I have done is also longer range. There are times when one ounce of 7 1/2 would be fine but I'd prefer 1 1/8 ounce most of the time.

SH

·
Registered
512 Posts
I guess i prefer lighter loads because as there is no limit here we may take up to 200 shots in one morning, and 11/8 loads and higher will definitely have a sure impact on your shoulder...
for close shots i use olympic trap or skeet loads (7.5-24g and 9-24g respectively)... for high flyers i go up to 1 oz loads, but rarely heavier than that... i wont shoot larger than 7 thats for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts