Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Fox News:

WASHINGTON - The FBI has improved its ability to respond quickly to gun dealer requests for criminal background checks (search), with only 9 percent of the transactions now facing delays, the Justice Department reported Thursday.

Improvements in technology have reduced the number of false matches in the National Crime Information Center system (search), raising the immediate response rate from a 71 percent average in early 2001 to 91 percent in 2002.

The improvement means that most gun dealers now can get information over the phone about whether a firearms purchaser is a convicted felon or other person prohibited from buying one. In the past, many dealers had to wait for an FBI agent to review records and make a final determination.

In a statement, Attorney General John Ashcroft said the improvements "are helping make our country safer by barring access to firearms by felons, illegal aliens and others who cannot legally own guns."

To reduce the remaining 9 percent of cases in which there are delays, the Justice Department is attempting to improve the completeness of criminal history records at both the state and federal levels. The department will distribute $48 million to help states improve records in 2003.

The report Thursday provides updated figures about the operations of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (search), or NICS, which was established in November 1998 and is an outgrowth of the 10-year-old Brady Act gun control law.

The system processed 8.9 million background checks in 2001, with 125,000 denials of permission to purchase a gun. In 2002, the numbers were 8.4 million checks and 121,000 denials.

Since its inception through the end of 2002, more than 36 million background checks have been done with 563,000 denials.

·
Registered
215 Posts
:?: hi cartridgeguys, i have a question is it against the law to try to purchase a firearm if you are a felon ? and was there any stats on people being arrested for it? if so ,why were they not arrested ? just curious errol

·
Registered
985 Posts
1) If it is that accurate and fast now why do we have a waiting time?????

2) A fellow came into my local gn shop to buy a shotgun. 2 uniform cops were in the shop looking at new side arms. He came to the question "Are you a fugitive from the law?" and answered YES! When the dealer handed the paper to the cop he asked the guy "Why would you admit that?" the fugitive replied "I have a warrent out for traffic violations, the form said if I lied it was a felony. I didn't want a felony." The guy never though to just walk out!

So here is a case where we kept a pump shotgun out of the hands of a conpulsive speeder! I know he was a criminal and stupid so he should not have had a gun, but it is a funny story.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...is it against the law to try to purchase a firearm if you are a felon ?
I believe we have an issue of terminology here. First of all, you state plain and simple a felon. Does that mean a felon who is a fugitive from the law or a convicted felon who has been rehabilitated and released? To my knowledge a convicted felon cannot legally purchase a firearm from a dealer who would then register that firearm, nor can that dealer legally sell him that firearm when the felon's record shows up tarnished - double-edged sword. If the felon is a fugitive from the law and goes into the local Gander Mountain and lays down cash for a shotgun and the background check shows nothing (because he has not yet been caught, charged, convicted, sentenced, and incarcerated), how can the dealer know not to sell him that arm. The second scenario is a farce anyway, because a fugitive from the law on a felony count wouldn't dream of buying a gun from a dealer unless he is really stupid.

The scenario of a convicted felon attempting to legally (paying money and getting it registered) purchase a firearm from a dealer proposes an interesting situation. The convicted felon (I would hope) knows his restrictions on firearms ownership, and yet attempts to purchase a gun. The dealer runs the check and it comes up all flags and whistles, so he doesn't sell him/her the gun. Does that dealer have to report the attempt? I don't know the answer to that, but that is a good question. I am not sure about the statistics involved with those types of issues either. Something to think about might be that when a dealer does the check and it comes up denied, does it state why it was denied or does it just tell the dealer not to sell the customer a firearm? That would certainly put a twist on things and take the responsibility off of the dealer's soulders.

Perhaps I know a man who is a dealer who can help us with that question. I will contact him and see what light he can shed on it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi mike, i was i guess thinking of convicted and released. but i do like your thinking better. i will watch for your post because i would like to know the answers , i have heard of stories where the criminals still try to see if they can beat the system.
i also would like to know if it's not to much trouble , why there is no yellow sheet as i call it , background check for muzzleloaders rifle or pistols thanks for your help in explaining this to me . and just in case you are curious about me i'm clean as a whistle , i own 12 long guns and 4 pistols all legal and registured. thanks errol

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had to chuckle when I filled out the part about fugitive from the law. I asked the gun dealer if anyone had ever answered yes to it and he said he had one guy. It turned out he was wanted for some sort of sexual assualt. The dealer went in the back and called the police they showed up a few minutes later with a nice shiney matching set of bracelets. And as for waiting periods not all states have them. If you buy a handgun in Texas and you pass the fbi check you walk out with the gun in you possession. And if you have a CHL you don't even have to wait on the fbi check. Just fill out the papers and away you go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.