Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy gave me a bag of gold metal hulls, some say classic 1982 are these any good?

i know that they are straight walled, tried a greenduster in them and the wad is lose. thanks John

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
It's Gold Medal. They're Federal's premium hull and load very well, maybe 10 or more times with lighter recipes.

Owing to the larger volume of the straight-wall construction, they require wads with fatter bases:

Federal 12S0 (very pricey)
Claybuster's CB2100-12 clone of the 12S0
Down Range Mfg.'s XXL Orange

Wads designed for non-straight-wall hulls will allow gas blow-by and powder to migrate past the wad.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Case said:
It's Gold Medal. They're Federal's premium hull and load very well, maybe 10 or more times with lighter recipes.

Owing to the larger volume of the straight-wall construction, they require wads with fatter bases:

Federal 12S0 (very pricey)
Claybuster's CB2100-12 clone of the 12S0
Down Range Mfg.'s XXL Orange

Wads designed for non-straight-wall hulls will allow gas blow-by and powder to migrate past the wad.
Down Range's Versalite wads also work well, if you want a full 1 1/8 or even more, load of shot. I like the new slick, silver one, over the older red Hornady plastic recipe. (One of the few dual purpose wads that will work in both the straight and tapered wall hulls.)

Clyde

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Years ago, Gold Medals were my main 12ga hull. In my experience, there is absolutely no other hull that compares in terms of durability. I never kept count of numbers of firings, but I remember a set of 100 getting me through an entire skeet winter league.

I'm not into the whole survivalist thing, but if I ever had to pick a hull to pack in a survival kit, it's the FGM for sure!

I don't really use them much any more, as their bigger case volume requires more powder, and 12ga hulls aren't exactly scarce, so nowadays I opt for economy over durability.

I also haven't graduated to the new smooth ones--I still have so many ribbed ones that I'll probably never get to them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.