Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to pass this bit of info along :roll: :roll:Today a trap shooter told me the way to check these hulls is--get this---- {F* twist the hull and the brass at the same time-- if it's loose they will come apart :w DUHHHH---by that time it's a little late :twisted: Load these hulls once and leave 'em in the trashcan

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I've loaded a jillion GM's and game load hulls, never had or seen on any range a problem with the plastic hull, at least before the mouth of the crimp gave way.--That is 12 gauge anyway.

Papers will surely pinhole at the brass and send the tube aflyin, or you can twist the tube off when it burns thru.

Did he show you one, or was just talkin about it?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was runnin' his mouth---was from a bigshot club up north--it was a slow day-Christmas and everything-he was our entertainment-hope he don't come back.Well--now I think about it,there is about four acres we could use fertilizer on----

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have reloaded and have witnessed others who have reloaded the Federal paper-based promotional and game load hulls by the tens of thousands..........

In all the years I have had only one failure. It was a 20ga game hull enough years back that the base metal was real brass! It has seen more than enough reloads and finally cracked the brass down and even around the rim on firing. The plastic tube blew out the barrel while the paper base wad remained in the split brass when ejected.

I consider this a very good track record. It a like number of reloads, I have seen the highly praised old type AA's blow the complete tube down the barrel!!!!!!!! Six times in .410 and once in 28ga. I never had it happen with thousands of 12ga AA however.
So the old style (paper base wad) Federal has a good dependable reloadability record for me over many years......

Slidehammer

·
Registered
536 Posts
Slide, That's good news. I have bags of Game loads in three gauges and I hate to throw them away. I do have some trouble getting good crimps, but I'll work on that. I did can some of the old Winchester Dove and Quail hulls because they were buckling on my Mec600Jr, however, I tried roll-crimping a few 20's and it worked well. Just get the mouth of the hull warm with light pressure before pressing the crimping tool down. My plan is to load them up as 2 1/2 inch field loads when I can find a recipie for my old powders. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I have seen a semi-auto pull the brass off of couple of Federal Gold Medal 12 ga plastic hulls. These were factory shells. I suspect that it was more a problem of the semi-auto than the GMs. The thing was it did not pull the brass off of every shell.

It was interesting to look at the GM hull with out the brass, since Federal states that it is a 1 piece straight walled hull. Still looked like a 2 piece hull melted together to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts