Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Premium Member
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I could only reload one hull for the duration of my career, hands down, give me Federal Papers.

They run so smooth through the machine, all the same length and they crimp so consistently nice......

I know, I know they only last for two or three loads......who cares, I'm not looking for a long term relationship, I just want to shoot some clays. Besides they smell so damn good after you fire them!!

· Registered
23,900 Posts
The good old days, and that wonderful smell, takes me back to my youth, (and that is a while ago):(

cdb

· Premium Member
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha cdb, most of us are a little longer in the tooth than we probably want to be!!

Next best thing are Federal 16 gauge hulls with the paper basewad. I have a bunch of those and about 1000 12 ga. papers loaded and ready to go for the winter 5 Stand league.

We'll see how many papers make it for the 3rd firing before the pin holes start!

· Registered
3,903 Posts
They are pretty nice, I wish they were more waxy though. They swell pretty bad in the duck blind, and I ended up going back to reloading plastic. Maybe the new ones will hold up better.

I wonder if anyone has ever sprayed the exteriors of them with water repellent, like Nikwax, scotchgard, or ReviveX. Never thought of trying that until now.

· Registered
6,303 Posts
I load the 12 ga ones for pheasants with 1 1/8 oz of #5 lead shot. They are mostly used with the semiautos as i don't mind losing the hulls so much as they will break down. Plastic hulls do not do that and remain an eyesore for years.

I have a few hundred Remington and Winchester16 ga paper hulls too. Still working on several boxes of factory loads but when they are done I'll be loading them for the field too. Have plenty of fiber wads and figure a homemade shot wrapper will help tighten patterns when desired. I'll run them through the A-5 until they are gone then switch back to nearly worn out hulls. I hate losing hulls with life still in them.

· Registered
12,840 Posts
A few years ago I was given about 1200 once fired Winchester paper hulls in both 20 ga and 12 ga. These are the ones that have a low brass base and a high base wad similar to the poly formed. Don't know when they were made but the primers that I punch out of them aren't magnetic. I finally found recipes for them using 452 for the 12 ga and 473 for the 20 ga. The 12s use the WAA12R short wad and the 20s use the Remington SP20. They work great and I too enjoy the aroma. I fire them once and then toss because there is a paper ring over the base wad that seems like it would like to move around and they just aren't as durable as the Federal papers. They are now almost gone and when they are I will switch over to my stash of Federal paper in 12 ga.

· Registered
83 Posts
The smell takes me back in time to when I was a kid and paper shells is what we shot then.
The good old days, and that wonderful smell, takes me back to my youth, (and that is a while ago):(

cdb
I hear this over and over and over from people, but I've never shot them. Do they smell like burning paper? I think I have a handful of 16 ga papers from my grandfather. Not sure if they're reloads or not.

· Registered
7,137 Posts
Kinda surprised the bean counters still allow production of these fine hulls.
They are definitely more time consuming to produce. I watched a video that someone provided on the production of these paper hulls and it was very revealing on why they must charge more for them. We can argue how much more but the fact is that they are not as quick to make as plastic ones.

Reactions: dogchaser37

· Premium Member
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are definitely more time consuming to produce. I watched a video that someone provided on the production of these paper hulls and it was very revealing on why they must charge more for them. We can argue how much more but the fact is that they are not as quick to make as plastic ones.
I saw that video too. Really interesting.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Love ‘em but usually pin holes at the second or third load.

· Registered
28,068 Posts
IIRC, it takes about two weeks or so from beginning to end as the paper needs to dry, etc.

· Registered
381 Posts
When I snagged that used Grabber back in August, it came with a couple thousand Federal paper hulls. When it was working right, it made some nice loads. But for some reason, I was having trouble inserting wads and dropping shot. If memory serves, every now and then a wad snagged on the edge of the hull and it buckled down, leaving me in purgatory with the handle bottomed out and a load of shot about to go everywhere. Sorting out the carnage after a few of those was enough to cause me to sour on them.

Never duplicated the same problem with a plastic hull. Also did much better with the cone shaped crimp starter. And 12S0 clone wads vs. the CB6100 that work well with Top Gun hulls.

· Registered
5,977 Posts
Your observation about how they are almost effortless when going through the loader, sort of like crap through a goose (my experience), is spot on. Folding paper is easier than folding plastic.

· Registered
2,655 Posts
the brass on them takes sizing super easy too.
i got shheeze 2800-3-K papers loaded right now with the old 12-C1 wad and green-dot.
i sort of hoard them since i got no more wads and i don't really want to use anything else in them.

· Premium Member
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the brass on them takes sizing super easy too.
i got shheeze 2800-3-K papers loaded right now with the old 12-C1 wad and green-dot.
i sort of hoard them since i got no more wads and i don't really want to use anything else in them.
I like that Federal 12C1 wad....another component that I miss using.

· Registered
12,840 Posts
That odor “smell” that we all are referring to is the paraffin in the paper that gets hot and released a vapor

· Registered
28,068 Posts

1 - 20 of 54 Posts