Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided i wanted an ultralight, then the delux, then i figured the money would be better spent on a dog.. I put all of it on hold, until i walked into Bob Ward and sons and my friend said they went on sale.. 1699.99... I got out the plastic card and walked out of there with the 687 ultralight and its very neat tiny case.. Even the case is a lightweight with the chokes, wrench and oil only 4 3/4 pounds and 32 1/2 inches long.. :D .. I think the case is what made the sale.. :oops: .... The gun is 6 lbs one ounce unloaded.. I shot a half box at the pattern board with winter coat, and not hardly any face slap, and recoil was not an issue!!! That was with 1 1/4 oz 1330 ft per second pmc and remington field number 6 shot loads.. All seems to be functioning properly, and patterning ok.. the top barrel patterns a little higher than the bottom barrel just like my 686, but im beginning to believe it may be recoil, as the top barrel would rise more.. But any way i have a spare, and a lightweight for them long days, that i hardley ever get to do, but look forward to getting at it.. :D dave..

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably more ignorant than tough... :) .. when a 110 pound nurse comes in the room with a little needle I want to climb the wall......With my lefever sxs 12 ga i would get uncomfortable face slap, and a little shoulder trouble in hot weather in 100 rounds of rem lights a the trap club.. It is a reasonably heavy gun with 1 lb recoil dead mule in the butt.. with the 686 at 7 lbs 4 oz i can shoot 27 nitro 1 1/8 oz at 1265 for 100 rounds in light shirt and not even feel it.. the 686 starts to slap my face with 1 1/8 winchester 1300 fps, but no problem really at all with 100 ruonds.. So i wanted a beretta ultralight with cast off, chrome barrels, and its very low profile... I think the lower barrel has about 25 percent less felt recoil for me.. hard to tell.. But the ultra light fits the same, and again with a winter coat, its not a problem, with very little occational face slap. Beretta has the features that do it for me, I feel working with world class compettetors is where they are getting thier inside info to make this quality of gun fit and reduced recoil.... I wouldnt even consider patterning 12 rounds of 1330fps 1 1/4 ounce loads in a 870 pump... I dont have a trained dog, and hunt public land that has been gone over 150 times already, so if i do get a shot i want all the chance i can get.. I hunted for 2 hours sunday down there and saw absolutly nada.. But im in serous need of excercise, so im off again thursday... :) dave

·
Registered
615 Posts
schnabel:
pics of said new delight for those of us who wish to admire it......from afar?
Yeah, lets see this beauty! 8)

Actually, maybe it's not such a good idea. You might make me second guess my decision to get the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon S :shock: :lol:.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks just like the photo on the websight, ive already built up the comb, and have a temporary center bead that is funky, but ill try to get a link to some photos when im off work tonight.. I do have a headache today, so hopefully it isnt a big problem.. so i guess common sence (which i need some more of) says to start reloading.. I have some 5s and 5 1/2 knickel plated shot, so ill mix up a batch tonight at 1 1/8 oz and 1200 fps for a thursday hunt.. ........Since your interested here are the better factory choke pattern results.. Wind was in the 15-25 mph range from the rear.. bottom barrel- cylinder choke at 30 yards 57 percent, top barrel 40 yards -modified choke 63 percent, top barrel 40 yards- full choke 64 percent.. . So for now looks like cylinder and full for me.. Sounds strange but i go by the patterns not the marks on the tubes.. when i get the lighter loads made up ill finish working out the patterns.. dave

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hey ffffg - I just picked up the Ultralight Deluxe today! What a gorgeous gun! I can't wait to shoot it, but I think I'll have to wait until next week. The suspense is killing me! Anyway, I got mine from Cabela's for $1899.99. I thought I was getting a great deal. You got me beat.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spen an hour trying to post a photo of the ultra light. sorry i cant get my new computer to do it.. . here is a stock photo link at beretta.... http://www.berettausa.com/product/produ ... s_main.htm click on ultralight in the left box.. mine is the standard.. I wish i could get the photo of gun in the tough little light case, its as small as can be, the way an ultralight should be.. Todays patterning went quite well, using 1145 fps rem lights 7 1/2.. The patterning was good considering the wind.. The lighter load works great,... I bought a pound of international and loaded 4 different 1 1/8 oz loads to pattern tomorow at 1200fps, with 5 and 5 1/2 knickle plated shot.. The rem lights were a dream to shoot compared to yesterdays heavy loads.. I looked again at the stores and not much is available here in 1 1/8 oz low velocity pheasant loads.. dave..

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thanks 1cdog - I'll be taking it for a test run this weekend and I can't wait!

·
Registered
490 Posts
sbocker,

Hope you have a great time with your Ultralight on Sat.

You guys buying new guns has got me with gun fever :)

I see your guns listed there. I've got a SP II in 20 gauge as well. Nice shooter, easy to carry in the field and you could shoot it all day long at clays and never have a problem.

Cheers,
1cdog

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I also just bought a new Beretta Ultralight Deluxe from Cabela's for $1999.00 ( I paid the most I guess ) . They were nice enough to let me go through every one they had in stock and pick out the that I wanted and man did I get a Beauty,it has grade 5 wood on it . I just can't put it down , what a Kool gun . I hope you guys enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine .

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
" I just can't put it down " its a good thing its an ultralight :D ... some news, im finding with a winter coat and 1 1/8 oz shot, 1200 fps, and a couple shots here and there, is a good combination for recoil, and hopefully power, for me anyway..... I havnt hit anything with it yet, so i dont have terminal results.. The pheasants i saw today were getting up at 50 yards for one group, hens at the end of the bunch when i got thru a big bush,.. and 150 yards for another.. they are just a little spookey over here.. .. They are hanging out in packs, and playing one see all see... Im beginning to think i should have gotten an 8 gauge... Oh well, i walked more today than i have for many, many years.. You know the drill, maybe just around that next bush...... Well, maybe the next one,, etc, etc, etc.. Its exactly what I need.... And i had a good time, Well until i got lost and had to walk another mile or so ..:oops: First time in that area.... And it was storming, and overcast.... Excuses, excuses.. . Dave...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
1cdog - I love the SPII. It is my favorite gun (though I suspect the Ultralight will be giving it a run for its money). The SPII is light, streamlined, pretty and reliable. It's my absoute best friend in the field.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hey Stratoliner - While you may have paid the most, I think we all got pretty good deals when you look at the MSRP on Beretta's website. Etiher way, this gun is worth every penny, no matter what you paid. Enjoy it. I'll report back on Monday after my weekend shooting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.